Author Topic: Problem with a brand new cave  (Read 2932 times)

Offline Albert

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 5
  • Default personal text
Problem with a brand new cave
« on: December 11, 2012, 09:26:12 PM »
Hello everyone

I bought recently a little wine cooler http://www.carrefouronline.carrefour.es/noalimentacion/TemplateProduct.aspx?itemMarcado=catalog310010&strands=true&itemId=117701082
(it works with a compressor, is not a thermoelectic with fan ) and I think there is a problem. Example: When I put their temp. to 9º C it starts to cool untill 9º C, ok, but after it doesn't starts cooling again since the temp. arrives to a 14º or 15º C. In this case I don't have a constant temperature, I only have a temperature going up and down again and again from 9º to 14ºC. So, the question is: is it a serious problem? Do I need an exactly constant temperature?
It's a shame, the wine cooler was so cheap...

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Re: Problem with a brand new cave
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 10:23:19 PM »
You need a more accurate thermostat but how to get that is the question.  I use a Johnson Controls remote thermostat which keeps things within about 2-3 degrees farenheit.  Don't know if you can get those in Spain though.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline Albert

• Medium Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 10:39:36 PM »
Does anyone knows any other different way to stabilize the range of temperature? if not, I will buy an external thermostat, but not the Johnsons, because here is not available. I would like to know how I have to install the external thermostat. Is it dangerous for the compressor of the cooler? I would like avoid the burning of compressor.
I'm sorry if my english is not correct...
Thanks everyone!!!

Tomer1

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 04:25:24 PM »
It has a delay circuit so it doesnt turn the compressor constantly on and off to maintain temp.
You can order a unit from ebay.

mjr522

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 12:48:10 AM »
If the problem is a delay circuit, then more thermal mass will help solve the problem.  Put as much water in the fridge as you can.  Remove the water as you need to replace it with cheese.  This will make the  compressor run longer when it runs and stay off longer when it stays off.

Offline Albert

• Medium Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 09:03:37 PM »
Thanks Tomer and Mike for your helps

Shalloy

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 07:46:58 AM »
Search for an STC1000 temp controller on ebay. We use them in brewing to control a fermentation fridge and they work great. You plug your fridge into the back of the unit and have it set on high and the stc1000 is set to the temperature you want your fridge to be. You can have a .5 variance before it switches back on and a minimum  1 min compressor delay.

You have to mount them in a box like a jiffy box and wire them up with female power points etc but they are not hard to do.