Author Topic: Grazing, Salatin, cheesemaking, Cooking/food and wine books.  (Read 5950 times)

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
Grazing, Salatin, cheesemaking, Cooking/food and wine books.
« on: December 12, 2012, 03:15:29 PM »
Hello all -

It's been some time.  I've not been involved in cheesemaking for quite a while, now, though I miss it - a lot of wonderful hours, with some pretty extraordinary generously given by some extraordinary people, and looking over old pics makes me wistful for my beauforts, reblochons, tommes (including a whole fridge/cave devoted to tomme grise). 

I've had to face reality, a kind of evolutionary process, over the last few years...I'll never cook again, and the dairying/cheesemaking life is not something this pretty beat-up bod will allow. 

My wife and I are trying to simplify, and also, in the way of preserving my back and legs, getting rid of virtually the entire stock of my household library, not an easy thing for me to do (a pretty massive cookbook collection, equally massive literature and history). 

This also includes several grazing texts, several Salatin books, and a couple cheesemaking books (Ricki's, Jean-Claud Le Jauoen's, and Paul Kindlestedt's).  They're in good shape, and before I take them to a local bookstore, I wanted to offer them here.  Just a general query - anyone interested in this kind of stuff?

Stay well, cheesemakers.  Thank you for continuing the good fight. 

Paul
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 12:02:40 AM by ArnaudForestier »
- Paul

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: Grazing, Salatin, couple of cheesemaking books.
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 03:27:31 PM »
Good to have you back here, Paul, in any capacity. You've been missed.

Thank you for your contributions to the dialogue here and thank you for offering your library here first. I am sure there will be some interest. Is there any way you could detail what you are parting with?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 03:33:08 PM »
Good to have you back here, Paul, in any capacity. You've been missed.

Thank you for your contributions to the dialogue here and thank you for offering your library here first. I am sure there will be some interest. Is there any way you could detail what you are parting with?

-Boofer-
Hey buddy, thanks, glad to see the usual suspects are still here.  Timing is very funny in life, sometimes - I was literally just thinking of you...of my cookbooks, there are a few that go in my "no way in hell do I dump" pile, and Madeleine Kamman's Savoie is one of those, literally just moved it to the "save" box.  You got this, right?  Have you enjoyed it? 

The cookbooks, there's a ton.  The grazing/cheese stuff, not so much.  I was just doing a general query to see if this is at all of interest to anyone here, before posting more, but I'll pull together a detailed list and post it - thanks for the warm welcome back, Boof, nice thing to receive. 

The only thing I do anymore is play gypsy swing guitar, as much as my bod will allow me, so I've really not been around.  How's the craft going? 
- Paul

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 03:49:20 PM »
I thank you for Madeleine Kamman's books. They are also "keepers" in my library.

As far as the craft goes, I am still working to polish my techniques and understanding of milk and how it is transformed in all different ways to cheese. My efforts have ranged from Reblochon and alpine types, to our old friend, Beaufort.

My current deep interest is in washed rind treatments...how they affect the underlying paste and how they develop. At this point, I am very much the student.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 03:51:46 PM »
At this point, I am very much the student.

-Boofer-

Bless you, brother.  May we always keep so. :)

I'll post details later, everyone.  Thanks again for the nod, Boof!  Glad to see there's at least two of us that love the Grand Dame of Savoie cuisine and culture!
- Paul

MrsKK

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 02:53:33 PM »
I'd be very interested to see a more detailed list, too.  I love cookbooks and have to sneak buy them - DH thinks I have too many.

Sorry to hear that you are not doing well, physically.  I've been rather absent here this fall, fighting off pneumonia, sinus infection and bronchitis since September, but am on the mend and hope to be back to milking and making cheese again in a month or so.

Please drop in for a visit now and again, I sure do miss your postings!

tnbquilt

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 03:50:29 PM »
I am interested in the Paul Kindlestedt book. How much do you want for it and how can we arrange payment?

I am also sorry to hear of your physical problems. I know that there is no way that anyone can fully understand without being there. You seem to have a good wife who is helping you and that is something to cherish.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 04:05:31 PM »
Nice to see you again, Karen, thanks for the nice note.  I too, love cookbooks - doing it professionally, these were also a secret addiction...shhh....but alas, we're paring down and it's a reckoning, a good reckoning, I think, that that part of life is laid to rest.  I'll work on a list today, Karen, Boof and all.   :)

- Paul

hoeklijn

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 04:09:48 PM »
It's sad to hear you have to stop with so much you have enjoyed. It's sad to have physical problems, but I know from older relatives that having a clear mind at a higher age is the most important thing. So I hope you will continue to contribute to this forum for a very long time...

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 04:11:32 PM »
I am interested in the Paul Kindlestedt book. How much do you want for it and how can we arrange payment?

I am also sorry to hear of your physical problems. I know that there is no way that anyone can fully understand without being there. You seem to have a good wife who is helping you and that is something to cherish.

Thank you, Tammy.  My family is my treasure, and though I'd had have better hopes for the end of my working life, they are everything in the world to me.  Our boy turned 12 yesterday, 12/12/12!

The Paul Kinstedt is in good shape, but it does have several chapters with some highlighting and notes (Pav, if you're around, buddy - your abilities piqued all the forays into the science texts, anywhere I could get them....thank you!).  I got it for $40, thinking $20 + cost of shipping (likely $4ish anywhere in the U.S., unless you would like it sent priority, no problem if so) was a fair price (if that seems too much, anyone, please let me know), PP's fine.

Thanks everyone.  Bit of a struggle dealing with these boxes of books the last few days, so it may be awhile before I get the list up, but I'm grateful for your interest and will work to get it up as quickly as I can.

- Paul

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 04:14:29 PM »
It's sad to hear you have to stop with so much you have enjoyed. It's sad to have physical problems, but I know from older relatives that having a clear mind at a higher age is the most important thing. So I hope you will continue to contribute to this forum for a very long time...

Hey Herman, thank you.  I can't make cheese in any consistent way anymore, but I will say another contribution flowing from your country has meant a lot to me - gypsy swing, jazz...as much as my bod allows, I try to play this style, rhythm gypsy swing and have been most influenced by the Rosenbergs - out of the Netherlands - and the manouche/sinti coming out of Belgium-Germany-Alsace corridor.  Best pal growing up, Albert (Albrecht) Zomer, from Holland.  Hope to visit your country one day!
- Paul

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 09:08:02 PM »
OK, everyone, here's the cheese, farming and so forth.  They're half or more off of what I paid for them, so I hope the pricing seems fair.  If not, or you want to make an offer on several books, please feel free!  Books are all in good condition - a couple might have some minor notes or highlighting, and where I've noticed more, I'll try to make mention of it.  Anyway, for starters, with more to come (cooking, culinary culture, food and wine). 

Cheeses, Cheesemaking, Farming, Pasture-based Dairying

American Cheeses:  The Best Regional, Artisanan and Farmhouse Cheeses, Who Makes Them, and Where to Find Them, by Clark Wolf.  Hardcover,  $12.00
Cheese Primer, Steven Jenkins, softcover, $8
French Cheese, DK Eyewitness Companions, Foreword by Joel Robuchon, Softcover, $10.00
Growing a Farmer, Kurt Timmermeister, Hardcover, $12.50
The Fabrication of Farmstead Goat Cheese, Jean-Claude Le Jaouen, Softcover, $25
American Farmstead Cheese, Paul Kindstedt, $20
A Slice of Organic Life, Editor Sheherazade Goldsmith, hardcover $9
Building Underground, Herb Wade, Softcover (some wrinkling to front and back cover) $8
Greener Pastures on your side of the Fence:  Better Farming with Voisin Management Intensive Grazing, Softcover, Bill Murphy, $13
Land, Livestock and Life, Allan Nation, $12
Grazing Guide, Grassworks, Inc. - Free to anyone who wants it, just pay for packing materials and shipping!
Dollars & Sense:  A Handbook for Seasonal Grass Dairying, Larry Tranel, Softcover, $25
The Future of Farming and Rural life in Wisconsin - Free to anyone who wants it, just pay for packing materials and shipping!
You can Farm, Joel Salatin, some highlighting, softcover, $15

Cooking, Cooking Culture, Wine

My Life in France, Julia Childs, hardcover, $13
Simply French, Patricia Wells (presenting the cuisine of Joel Robuchon), softcover, $12
Kitchen Confidential, Anthony Bourdain, softcover (stain on top right of several pages, faint), $4
A Meal Observed, Andrew Todhunter, hardcover, $11
Culinary Artistry, Andrew Dornenburg and Karen Page, softcover, (binding good, but somewhat loose in center of book; edge staining – a book I worked with, quite a bit, professionally), $9
Jacques Pepin Celebrates, Jacques Pepin, hardcover, $22
Chez Panisse: Fruit, Alice Waters, hardcover, $18
D'Artagnan's Glorious Game Cookbook, Ariane Daguin, George Faison, Joanna Pruess, hardcover, $7
Chez Panisse Cooking, Paul Bertolli, Alice Waters, softcover (tear on rear cover top and bottom at binding, otherwise, clean and tight), $10
Japanese Cooking, A simple Art, Shizuo Tsuji, hardcover, $20
A Cook's Tour, Anthony Bourdain, hardcover, $12
American Brasserie, Rick Tramanto and Gale Gand, hardcover, 8
The Perfectionist (biography of the rise and fall of Bernard Loiseau), Rudolph Cheminski, hardcover, $8
Backyard Bistros, Farmhouse Fare:  A French Country Cookbook, Jane Sigal, hardcover, $13
Ducasse:  Flavors of France, Alain Ducasse, hardcover, $27
Bouchon, Thomas Keller, hardcover, (Binding a bit weak, and bad in “Sources” section – gorgeous book, though, close to my heart – when you get sick of haute cuisine, you cook – and eat – bouchon/bistro!) - $17
Cooking with the Seasons, Monique Jamet Hooker (signed), hardcover, $15
The New Professional Chef, Sixth Edition, CIA (Culinary Institute of America) $20
Glorious French Food, James Peterson, hardcover, $18
Lutece Cookbook, Andre Soltner, hardcover.  I followed 2 guys, growing up – Jacques Pepin, and Andre Soltner.  Beaujolais and Alsace – a beautiful couple of pillars.  $13
The New Making of a Cook, Madeleine Kamman, hardcover (a working book – some stains, watermarks) $20. 
Larousse Gastronomique.  Editing headed up by Joel Robuchon.  THE reference, in my opinion, the true “bible” of fine cooking.  Hardcover, tear on spine top, cover only.  Pages clean, binding tight. $20
Lumiere, Rob Feenie, forward by Charlie Trotter, hardcover, small tear on rear dust jacket, $16
Fish and Shellfish:  The Cook's Indispensable Companion, James Peterson, hardcover, 2”ish tear on back top DJ, $15
Le Repertoire De La Cuisine, Louis Saulnier, hardcover (sort of a “field pocket” Escoffier), $9
Tastes of the Pyrenees:  Classic and Modern, Marina Chang, hardcover, $11
Simple French Food, Richard Olney, softcover, lots of dog ears and some faint wrinkling on some pages, $7
Craft of Cooking, Tom Colicchio (if the name is familiar, “Top Chef,” as well as his own restaurants), hardcover, $9
Think Like a Chef, Tom Colicchio, hardcover (DJ is intact, but tears and shelf wear on top and bottom),   $12
A Culinary Journey in Gascony, Kate Radliffe (a culinary “barge” converted to a hotel and restaurant, cruising France's canals – we've exchanged, great lady), softcover, $8
French Lessons:  Adventures with Knife, Fork and Corkscrew, Peter Mayle (A Year in Provence), softcover, $5
Letters to a Young Chef, Daniel Boulud, hardcover, $11
Burgundy Stars:  A Year in the Life of a Great French Restaurant (also a bio of Bernard Loiseau, another author), William Echikson, hardcover, $10
The World of Wine, Caroline Camarra and Jean-Paul Paireault, hardcover, $18
Vino (Italian Wine Resource), Burton Anderson, hardcover, $10
Italian Wine, Victor Hazan (Marcella's husband), hardcover, $7
Complete Encyclopedia of French Cheese, Pierre Androuet, softcover – broken binding, pp. 291-350 come out, staining – Free to anyone who wants it, just cover packaging materials and shipping
The Making of a Chef, Michael Ruhlman, softcover (dog ear, some wrinkling on front and back cover; yellowing pages), $7
The Great Match:  Pairing Delicious Recipes with Great Wine, Brian St. Pierre, hardcover, $14
Great Tastes Made Simple:  Extraordinary Food and Wine Pairing for every palate, Andrea Immer, hardcover, $13

This wasn't an easy decision, but it represents a letting go of another couple of lives, a long process but ultimately, I think, a good one. Lots of literature and philosophy, but wanted to put culinary stuff up here, where I know they'll be used. 

Thanks for the interest, everyone!

Paul
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 10:29:41 PM by ArnaudForestier »
- Paul

Peynirci

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, 12:03:24 AM »
At this point, I am very much the student.

-Boofer-

Bless you, brother.  May we always keep so. :)

Here here, I wish more people had this level of humility.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
Re: Grazing, Salatin, cheesemaking, Cooking/food and wine books.
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2012, 04:36:00 PM »
Thanks for the consideration, everyone. 

You guys are a wonderful community of people, doing good work.  Best wishes for a peaceful and joyous 2013. 

Paul
- Paul