Author Topic: Lactose Free Yogurt  (Read 2801 times)

McCreamy

Lactose Free Yogurt
« on: December 13, 2012, 02:56:31 PM »
We found out recently that my dairy farmer husband is lactose intolerent (ironic, I know). We love yogurt. I buy him the lactose free ones. I am trying to get back into cheese and yogurt making (I did it a few years ago, and then got too busy). Is there a way to make lactose free yogurt? I use MrsKK's yogurt recipe for regular yogurt, and it's fabulous.

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
Re: Lactose Free Yogurt
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 08:03:08 PM »
I don't have the link, but I saw a Coconut Milk yoghurt recipe on a blogsite.
A search should pick it up.
-Bill
One day I will add something here...

Tomer1

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 09:24:17 PM »
You should look into other non dairy milks to produce yogurt such as soy.
You could also try using a "reduced lactose" milk (bacterialy produce enzymes convert lactose to other complex sugars) and see if his fine with it.  given the acidification of the milk, the residual lactose level should be greatly reduced. 
You should really allow it to "sour", try using a culture which is for smooth or non tangy yogurt but still reachs low pH. 

flac

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 02:37:11 AM »
Try Kefir. It is easier than yogurt to make, tastes great, and is supposed to be fine for lactose intolerance.

McCreamy

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 03:02:03 PM »
He has tried every milk alternative in the market and doesn't like the taste of any of them. (It was pretty expensive to figure that out). We do have raw milk, and he is sensitive to that as well.