Author Topic: harvesting Brevibacterium linens  (Read 2940 times)

psykobillys

harvesting Brevibacterium linens
« on: December 13, 2012, 09:03:51 PM »
hey all! just curious - i want to make a Taleggio - like... now. my local homebrew shop (which is where i buy my cultures) doesn't have any B. linens in stock...it'll be about a week... i was wondering if i could harvest a suitable culture from the rind of another taleggio or limburger or what have you.... if so, what sort of method should i use? maybe just scrape rind into my ripening milk? thoughts? suggestions?

bbracken677

Re: harvesting Brevibacterium linens
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 09:07:54 PM »
You could make your taleggio and when the linens arrive next week, just apply it as a 3% saline solution with non-chlorine water and a couple drops of the b.linens.

Search the forum (ADJUNCT - Washed Rind & Smear Ripened) for b.linens. This is often applied as a wash and probably is the recommended method.

psykobillys

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 09:25:25 PM »
well see, that's what i was wondering. the recipen (both that i'm looking at) says to sprinkle the B. linens into the ripening milk... am i good to go if i just use it as a wash after the make? if so, problem solved.

bbracken677

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 09:34:06 PM »
It works quite fine applying it as a wash....I have done so several times myself.

psykobillys

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 09:41:42 PM »
well problem solved then! on to the make!  ;D