Author Topic: Shitake Brie is delicious and beautiful  (Read 13177 times)

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
Re: Shitake Brie is delicious and beautiful
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2014, 04:07:33 PM »
Thank you Paul and JWalker!  Kind of nice to receive cheeses for something I did last year!   ;D  The mushrooms were dried and then grated but I think you could do it the other way around.  I'd dried them when I harvested them quite some time before this make. 

Paul,  I want one of the bark stripping tools! The blade turns up at the edges to give you a perfect width each time.  Okay, it's true I'm a tool junkie.....I guess the good thing about birch bark is you can use scissors to trim it or just peel by hand.  I don't know of any sources for fallen spruce but if you want me to send you some birch bark I'd be glad to.  Just PM me your mailing address.  (unless you just want to post it here and see what else gets sent to you!   ??? )

JWalker, I'll be curious how your thin Bries turn out.  YOu know, I think you could add some shitake between a stacked pair of thin Bries even at this point.  You couldn't put the shitake on all sides and top and bottom but surely you could make a layer cake with them.  I didn't do anything to the shitake and I'm sure they brought all kinds of extra stuff with them given that they grew in the woods and were dried in our kitchen.  I think the PC had it's favorite conditions and was more than able to out compete everything else. 

There is a shitake Brie tutorial I posted somewhere on the forum.  Alas, I had some B. linens visit one batch of 4 shitake Brie and the flavor was SO strong that it could no longer be called Brie.  Thinking of that cheese "Stinking Bishop" has me wondering if I should have named them "Stinking Woodsman" in honor of the mushroom component.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2014, 04:15:57 PM »
Here's a link to the tutorial for shitake Brie:
http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,10706.0.html

Here's a thread for the first make's issue of some blue/gray showing up early and what I did about it and how it resolved by being out competed:
http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,10449.0.html

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2014, 04:51:53 PM »
Thanks, Tiarella.  Yeah, that's been my problem as well, finding one with the "U" or "C" shape to it.  I thought to score the bark for the width and then just run a wide chisel, would probably work but would hope to find the dedicated tool. 

Thank you on the offer of birch - I have tons, due to heading to the U.P. several times per year.  I'm definitely doing some cheeses with it, seeing how beautiful and delicious yours look.  Just the traditionalist in me seeking something to peel the spruce. 

Let's keep our eyes out!  :)
- Paul

jwalker

« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2014, 04:53:12 PM »
JWalker, I'll be curious how your thin Bries turn out.  YOu know, I think you could add some shitake between a stacked pair of thin Bries even at this point.  You couldn't put the shitake on all sides and top and bottom but surely you could make a layer cake with them.  I didn't do anything to the shitake and I'm sure they brought all kinds of extra stuff with them given that they grew in the woods and were dried in our kitchen.  I think the PC had it's favorite conditions and was more than able to out compete everything else. 

I made one with a divider in the mold , thinking that just one would be too thick , then they settled down to only about 1/2-3/4" each , which just looked to thin to me , after a few days in the cave , I decided to put them together , so they will have a bit of a rind between them.(maybe will age faster?)

These are the ones , they are now fused into one and aging , will let you know how it turns out.

murmur

« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2014, 05:46:13 PM »
I am very late to the party, but I am absolutely blown away by what you have achieved. You are a new source of inspiration in both my cheese making and in my appreciation of incorporating natural elements into my culinary passions.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2014, 07:28:53 PM »
I am very late to the party, but I am absolutely blown away by what you have achieved. You are a new source of inspiration in both my cheese making and in my appreciation of incorporating natural elements into my culinary passions.

I'm so happy to hear you are inspired.    :D   If you do anything like this I hope you will not only post about it by starting a thread but do please post a link to that thread here so anyone reading this one will also get to read about your wonderful experiments with cheese also! 

Did you the see the shitake brie cheese tutorial I posted about?  If not, I will find a link to it for you.  I think the link might be somewhere in this thread but am not sure. 

murmur

« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2014, 12:59:34 PM »

I'm so happy to hear you are inspired.    :D   If you do anything like this I hope you will not only post about it by starting a thread but do please post a link to that thread here so anyone reading this one will also get to read about your wonderful experiments with cheese also! 

Did you the see the shitake brie cheese tutorial I posted about?  If not, I will find a link to it for you.  I think the link might be somewhere in this thread but am not sure.

I have a Brie in the cave that I rubbed with a Truffle Salt and another with dried crushed Juniper Berries. I also collect/harvest wild Morel mushrooms, dry them and use the powder in my cheese.

But what I immediately started thinking when I saw your pictures was using a Birch Syrup drizzled over cheese and figs on a dessert plate. Perhaps even a little Birch Syrup in the make.:)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 01:36:55 PM by murmur »

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2014, 08:21:42 PM »
Aaah, I love what you are doing!!!  And what do you notice in taste from the Juniper berries?  I was going to do a morel brie but chickened out until I was sure I could do it right.  I'm still going to practice more with the shitake.

I have some Red Bud tree leaves  (Cercis canadensis) that have been soaking in brandy for more than a year now.  I was using them to wrap small cheeses in.  I did it last year....I think I have some photos.  I wanted cheese wrap that was from nature.  In the second photo you can see that I used seed pods from the Stewartia tree as the skewers to hold the wrapping on.  I am looking forward to using these leaves but this year I don't have many goats in milk because I am switching goat breeds and sold most of my herd.  The new ones will start kidding next year.   ???