Author Topic: cheese aging room planning - keeping the cave warm?  (Read 9807 times)

linuxboy

Re: cheese aging room planning - keeping the cave warm?
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2012, 02:32:50 AM »
If you go with a small room like that, then you can use a classic design with a coolbot and a heater on a thermostat (with a duct sock if you can afford it) and an ultrasonic humidifier on a timer. Once you fill it with cheese, it will be stable. Add in some ammonia exhaust (fan) and a source of filtered air and you're done.

CheezSorce

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2015, 04:23:15 AM »
Did the Cave ever get built.  The source of heat as long as it is moisture neutral doesn't really matter.  Electric, hot water coil, heated floor will all work fine.  Make sure the box is super well sealed as the external DP is so low in the winter months that all the humidity will race out through the cracks.  If you are still looking for controls check out www.sanitarydesigns.com
Using coolbot necessitates the use of a humidifier in the summer as the coil is small and very cold.  Steam humidifiers work best located outside the room.

John@PC

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2015, 09:42:24 PM »
If you go with a small room like that, then you can use a classic design with a coolbot and a heater on a thermostat (with a duct sock if you can afford it) and an ultrasonic humidifier on a timer. Once you fill it with cheese, it will be stable. Add in some ammonia exhaust (fan) and a source of filtered air and you're done.
Sorry I missed this thread, but fyi we have supplied several small creameries now in this cave size range with ultrasonic humidification and control, and also have temperature controllers that can be used to plug in up to a 1,750 watt heater.  I quoted Pav because it reminded me that maybe we need to put together an air exchange system for these small-to-medium sized caves as well.  We have a customer in WA who told me their two new caves were designed to have 12 air-exchanges per 24hr, and because of that was having trouble maintaining humidity which was corrected with a 3-head fogger.  I would like to find out more about air-flow and exchange so maybe worth a seperate thread to tap the forum's resources?

I will add that I've experimented with "pumping" un-filtered air using a small aquarium pump into a 21 cu. ft. fridge.  If there is a preferred exchange rate it's possible a mini-system could be designed as well if it would be beneficial.