Author Topic: Gouda with GARLIC !  (Read 3129 times)

jwalker

Gouda with GARLIC !
« on: June 05, 2013, 01:32:01 PM »
Well , I finally made my first Gouda with Garlic , I have one with Dill as well aging right now.

I used (you guessed it) RCs recipe from her book , it's still the only book I have , but for some reason , I didn't get as clean a break as I should have , did everything the same as other makes , but used a different milk.

The curd did set and separate from the whey eventually , but it turned out to be very small curd , more like cottage cheese , but after the regular pressing it seemed to knit very well after all.

I used Spice World Minced Garlic , about four tablespoons , boiled in a cup of water , added to a four gallon batch , they smell GREAT !

I wanted to try a different mold this time , I bought some Sterilite containers at the dollar store , got them very cheap , they are very sturdy.

I put drain holes in the bottom and sides of two of them , and used the other two as followers , they held the press weights very well and fit quite snugly inside one another.

These may be the only square Goudas here in the forum , or have others done it , I wonder if the shape will affect the finished product ?

I made two , two pound cheeses , they fit in the cave well also , the previous four pound Gouda is too big for me at this point , I like the smaller ones.

I plan on cream coating them and aging for at least six months.

Cheers , Jim.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: Gouda with GARLIC !
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 01:43:56 PM »
Nice, clean-looking cheeses coming out of those new moulds! Good job, Jim.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

shotski

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 08:28:44 PM »
I went to the cheese festival last weekend in Picton and there was a vendor there with Gouda and garlic flowers very nice flavour.

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 06:09:42 AM »
That is an interesting shape Jim and it looks like it has knitted well. A good job alround.
I went to the cheese festival last weekend in Picton and there was a vendor there with Gouda and garlic flowers very nice flavour.
Were the flowers inside the cheese or decorating it shotski?
-Bill
One day I will add something here...

shotski

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 01:27:10 PM »
"Were the flowers inside the cheese or decorating it shotski?"

The flowers were inside and used to flavour the cheese. If you have not tried one you should, the flower has the garlic flavour be is very delicate.

John

jwalker

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 02:00:44 PM »
I was thinking of doing one with Chives , I have a patch of Chives that has flowers on it right now.

My neighbor is growing garlic (1 acre of it ) , I will see if I can score some of the flowers for a batch.

I am making two more Goudas right now , they were going to have coarse black pepper in them , but while the milk was heating , I left the pepper on the outside stove too long and burnt it to the bottom of the pan !

There wasn't enough time to do another another batch of pepper as I had already added the meso , so I'm just making two plain Goudas today.

My cave with the Garlic Goudas smells great !

Cheers , Jim.

shotski

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 02:12:14 PM »
Chive flowers would be interesting, Gouda with little  pink flecks !!!  now that would be a conversation piece.  :)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 02:52:14 PM »

The flowers were inside and used to flavour the cheese. If you have not tried one you should, the flower has the garlic flavour be is very delicate.

John
You can quote someone by clicking on the "Quote" button in the top right of their posting. ;)

-Boofer-
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 01:35:54 PM by Boofer »
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

shotski

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2013, 04:53:38 PM »

John
You can quote someone by clicking on the "Quote" button in the top left of their posting. ;)

-Boofer-

Thanks Boofer   ;D

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2013, 07:56:07 PM »

John

I guess I am going to have to plant some garlic to get the flowers then....
You have got me wondering what my saffron petals, as in my picture, taste like now!
-Bill
One day I will add something here...