Author Topic: Canning Cheese- WTF?  (Read 4043 times)

Mighty Mouse

Canning Cheese- WTF?
« on: December 16, 2012, 11:41:35 PM »
Hmmmm....
Interesting.....

Canning: Mild Cheddar Cheese

I might try this.

susanky

Re: Canning Cheese- WTF?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 12:01:17 PM »
I don't understand.  Why is she going to all of this trouble?  Because she got large quantities of this cheese on sale and is looking for a way to store it?  Why not just leave it vacuum sealed as it is?  Couldn't you store it that way for years if you wanted?  It sure looks like a lot of work!
Susan

Mighty Mouse

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 03:48:19 AM »
I don't understand.  Why is she going to all of this trouble?  Because she got large quantities of this cheese on sale and is looking for a way to store it?  Why not just leave it vacuum sealed as it is?  Couldn't you store it that way for years if you wanted?  It sure looks like a lot of work!
Susan

I think the cheese she got was not vacuum sealed. Looked like it was cut at the store and wrapped in cellophane. Still though.... kinda odd. Of course if it works, I can't argue with that.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 02:51:00 PM »
Susan

I think the cheese she got was not vacuum sealed. Looked like it was cut at the store and wrapped in cellophane. Still though.... kinda odd. Of course if it works, I can't argue with that.
This is woman with a lot of idle time on her hands.

I agree with Susan...leave it vacuum-sealed. If it wasn't that way when she bought it, just vacuum-seal it. She is fiddling with the cheese, mucking around melting it (why?), possibly introducing outside influences (bacteria, molds, pet dander, etc.) where it wasn't before. She did mention that one of her jars had a problem...maybe she didn't wipe the rim before sealing it. I'm sure that wipe rag is nice and clean.:o

I think her idea of cheese is captured with her comment about Velveeta.

What an inglorious waste of time and effort. ::)
Such a wonderful thing, that anyone with a video camera and a connection to the internet can become a media star and food connoisseur. :P

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Tomer1

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 03:41:54 PM »
It might accually taste good.   I bet thos "end of the world" groups also can cheese.

bbracken677

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 05:25:58 PM »
Speaking of which...3 days to the end of the world.

My doc must know something....he told me I had to take this medicine once a day for the rest of my life.   The prescription I just filled was for 3 pills......

Tomer1

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 11:24:52 PM »
I'l better pick up some Château d'Yquem before it all runs out then... :)

Mighty Mouse

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 03:07:49 AM »
Speaking of which...3 days to the end of the world.

QUICK! MAX YOUR CREDIT CARDS!!

xyztal

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 04:33:32 AM »
I saw an article in my local newspaper abt the end of the world yesterday, the author put a list of 'to-do' before the end of the world, here is the # 1 and 2

1. Eat cheese
2. Watch the entire Harry Potter movie series while eating cheese....

margaretsmall

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 11:21:23 AM »
And, if the world doesn't actually end,
3. Join Weight watchers to work off the effects of eating cheese continually for, what, 25 hours?

bbracken677

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2012, 03:17:56 PM »
So....NASA made a video stating that the world wasnt going to end. It was planned to be released on 12/22/12 and references the date early in the show...but it was released 10 days early. Does that mean they were afraid no one would see it if they waited until the 22nd?    haha

george

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2012, 12:38:44 PM »
I was planning on having fun celebrating the solstice on Friday, but apocalypse is more fun.  I have a two-week vacation from chemo (actually effectively three weeks) so I'd already planned to spend the time re-stocking Ye Olde Cheese Cave.  Already made a gouda, a Fourme D'Ambert, and a Double Gloucester is coming out of the press this morning (thanks, Boofer, for the inspiration for those last two!).  But hmmmm ... Apocalypse Cheese?  What kind?

Have settled on a Port Salut for Friday's make - I figure with all that death and destruction and rotting bodies around, who'll notice a little extra aroma from my stinky cheese?   ;D

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2012, 02:46:51 PM »
But hmmmm ... Apocalypse Cheese?  What kind?

Have settled on a Port Salut for Friday's make - I figure with all that death and destruction and rotting bodies around, who'll notice a little extra aroma from my stinky cheese?   ;D
What inspiration! Turnabout is fair play. You're welcome, george, and thank you! I wasn't going to do another cheese for the rest of the year, but how can I just fritter away this opportunity?

The back of my mind has been cluttered with thoughts of Taleggio. That could just fit into the stinky category. ;) I found a possible mould that I want to try out. It's recycled from a biscotti package.

For those dear souls who would like to have something to eat stinky cheese with and be entertained by, may I suggest that you mark your calendars and set your DVRs or other TV recording devices for New Years' weekend. The "death and destruction and rotting bodies" you seek will be broadcast in a marathon of "The Walking Dead" series on the AMC channel starting from the first episode. Production values and storyline have just continued to improve in now its third season. If you haven't watched it at all, imagine a zombie movie that continues week after week. :)

Break out the cheese & crackers! It's going to be a long slog through to the New Year.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

bbracken677

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2012, 03:40:33 PM »
The Walking Dead is, indeed, an excellent show!  I really love the concept and how well they deliver the concept to screen! 

george

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2012, 12:01:06 PM »
What inspiration! Turnabout is fair play. You're welcome, george, and thank you! I wasn't going to do another cheese for the rest of the year, but how can I just fritter away this opportunity?
  Exactly.   :)  While there's only a week or so left in "the year", it just sounds so depressing to say "no more cheese-making for the year", dontcha think?

Now all I have to do is get my work chores done early so I have TIME to make my stinky today.    ;)