Author Topic: Robiola question  (Read 2803 times)

rosawoodsii

Robiola question
« on: December 17, 2012, 03:26:44 PM »
I've been using a Robiola recipe that calls for a buttermilk starter or culture. The recipe says:

Once the milk is at 72F the culture can be added. To prevent the powder from caking and sinking in clumps, sprinkle the powder over the surface of the milk and then allow about 2 minutes for the powder to re-hydrate before stirring it in.
The milk now needs to sit covered and quiet for about 4 hours while the initial acid develops BEFORE adding the rennet. This longer ripening time will cause the rennet to work on the milk much quicker due to the higher acid.

This morning I pulled a half gallon of half-clabbered raw goat milk out of the refrigerator.  It's definitely soured and tangy, not thick yet, though.  Since the recipe doesn't mention pH, I don't know how acidic the milk should get, but I want to add another 1/2 gallon of raw milk before I start.  Can I use the half-clabber in place of the buttermilk? Should I still add culture or just let it sit for the 4 hours with the clabber as the culture?