Author Topic: Hello from Denmark  (Read 2446 times)

sofusryge

Hello from Denmark
« on: December 21, 2012, 12:19:28 PM »
Might be a good idea to introduce myself Properly.

I live in Denmark, in Odense (the home of Hans Christian Andersen). Bought a small house 3 years ago, and have just finished my winecellar/cheesecave under the garage. Am now trying to fill it up with wine and homemade cheese (i will post pics later).

I've been crafting cheeses for a couple of month now. Got 2 Parmesans, 1 Caerphilly, 1 FH Cheddar some Feta and some American Neufchatel on the scoreboard, and one Stilton in the make. I enjoy cheesemaking immensely, it's something to do in the dark, cold wintermonth when my garden and my bees are dormant.

I'm doing a little brewing now and then, got some nice apple-cider going right now (considering turning it in to Calvados). I've got my chickens (Silky), 1 beehive (expanding with another one come spring), my vegetable-garden and doing a fair deal of fishing in the season for trout. All in all, i like to produce (or catch) things that can be consumed.

So far reading through this forum has been very beneficial for my cheesemakingskills - so, thank you all!

/Sofus Ryge Petersen

bbracken677

Re: Hello from Denmark
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 02:05:46 PM »
Hi! Welcome to the Forum!  Tis a great place with exceptional people! 

I have a several cheddars, Cheshire, Caerphilly, couple of parmesans, a couple of blues, and a gouda in my cave...looking to make some more room for more cheeses...

Merry Christmas!

mjr522

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 02:56:41 PM »
Velkommen!  Jeg bodde in Norge i to aar for mange aar siden, men naa bor jeg paa Colorado i USA.  Det finnes mange hjelpsome folk har paa forumen.  Jeg har laget noen faa oster--Gouda, Cheddar, Jack, Cammembert, og saa videre--og skal fortsett med aa lage nye oster.

Noen foreslo, naar jeg first sluttet meg forumen, at jeg burde fokusere paa aa perfekte en slag ost.  Jeg har ikke helt gjort det, men jeg laget mange Goudaer foer jeg proevde andre.  Det synes aa vaere gode raad.  Jeg naa fokusere paa Cheddar og Jack.

sofusryge

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 09:13:27 PM »
Thanks for the welcome.

bbracken677: Sounds like a lot of cheese  :) Merry Christmas to you to!

Mike: Du skriver flot Norsk! I'm planning to do a series of the same cheese-type to learn the different aspects of the make better, but i have to try out some different cheeses first, before i decide which one to elaborate on.

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 09:51:14 PM »
Sound,s like you stay busy :)
welcome to the forum ^-^
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 12:25:13 AM »
Welcome sofus!!  Do you happen to know my good friends Magnus Westrin "Wesse" or Stefan Nilsson "Slammis"?  Wesse lives in Hultsfred and Slammis lives near Timmernabben.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 12:36:29 AM by Al Lewis »
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

hoeklijn

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 11:38:57 AM »
And a welcome from Holland, from a small town between Gouda and Leiden. Used to make wine myself a long time ago, but I don't have enough space for that anymore...

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 12:54:22 PM »
All in all, i like to produce (or catch) things that can be consumed. /Sofus Ryge Petersen

Aaah, I know the feeling.  I also like to produce things that can be eaten!  We have large vegetable gardens, fruit trees and berry canes and plants, nut bushes and trees, etc.  Also the goats, sheep, rabbits and chickens.  We will be eating our first home produced leg of lamb for Christmas Eve.  We will be having waffles with our own soft goat cheese and thawed berries on them.  And the thrill of putting out a cheese board for guests with all homemade cheeses is one of those thrills that most forum members can relate to! 

tnbquilt

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2012, 03:44:01 PM »
Welcome! I also have a learned a lot by reading this for the past few weeks. There is a lot of information available here, I don't know why I wasn't reading it before.

We make beer, and sausage, and cheese. I don't have a garden anymore because there is not a good place at this house to grow one, so we go to the farmers market in the summer and buy stuff there. We can a lot of our own food, as I don't buy canned goods at the grocery store. I will buy canned tomatoes because I haven't put up enough of them to last through the year yet. I make my own chili and can it, and all kinds of vegetables.

I like hobbies involving food as well. I used to sew a lot, now I make cheese with all of my spare time, or read about making cheese, or make notes and compare recipes, or read the forum.

sofusryge

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2012, 04:06:29 PM »
H-K-J: Thanks - busy is what i like, as long as i choose it myself    :)

Al Lewis: That would be in Sweden - different country  ;)

Hoeklijn: Thanks. I'm considering planting a few grape plants in my front yard next summer, I've wanted to try making my own whitewine for a long time. To cold for redwine though. Stayed a few days at a wineyard "Weingut Willig" in Rüdesheim am Rhein (Germany) this summer, great experience!

Tiarella: You just made me acutely hungry! - think I'm gonna cut myself a few chunks of Caerphilly.

Tnbquilt: Thanks. I had a few chiliplants in the greenhouse this summer, but only a small harvest. Would like to try to pickle some if next summer brings more success. They taste delicious stuffed with cream cheese or feta!

sigurdur

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2012, 04:31:21 PM »
Hi from Iceland, Sofus! :)

I brew beer, make bread and cheese. No wine yet (But hopefully soon).

I look forward to see the pics you'll be posting :)