Author Topic: extech ph100 or Oakton pHTestr30?  (Read 3107 times)

Red

extech ph100 or Oakton pHTestr30?
« on: December 18, 2012, 08:04:13 AM »
I've found two reasonably priced (and easy to get) options for a basic ph meter that I can get here in Canada...can anyone help me decide?

linux boy's recommended criteria:

- Either ISFET or double junction  - ph100 is single junction, pH Testr30 is double junction
- Flat tip or spear tip                    - ph 100 is flat, pHTestr30 is bulb
- KCl/AgCl2 reference system        ?
- If possible, refillable reference solution   neither is refillable- could get the ph110, but have read many say not to bother...
- Latest gen teflon or ceramic reference junction that is resistant to fouling  ?
- Sensitivity to .01  both have this
- ATC capability through sensor on meter  both have this

So I see it as a trade off of flat tip on ph100  versus double junction(longer life) on the pH Tester30

Any thoughts?

I found this page to be helpful in comparing meters....

https://www.benmeadows.com/shop/digital-ph-meter.htm

Sailor Con Queso

Re: extech ph100 or Oakton pHTestr30?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 02:34:52 PM »
You cannot read the surface pH of a finished or just pressed cheese with a bulb tip.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 02:38:59 PM »
My ExStik PH100 has served me well. Good piece of equipment.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

bbracken677

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 05:28:08 PM »
I ordered the exstik ph110 and should arrive later this week!  Am excited   lol

CheeseDoc

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 06:32:01 AM »
I've been using the ExTech PH100 for a couple of years now.  It has worked fine so far.  Be patient when you calibrate or take readings.   It takes a while for the reading to stabilize--usually long after the display stops blinking.  When you are calibrating, let the tip soak in the calibration solution for a while (I.E. wait a minute or more) before pressing the cal button.  If you rush the calibration, the readings you make later will be off.  Rinse the tip in distilled water and wipe it completely dry with a clean cloth before moving from one calibration solution to the next.  You don't want to pollute the second calibration solution with a few drops of the previous calibration solution.  For cheese making I usually do a two point calibration, using calibration standards 4.0 and 7.0, since all the readings you'll get while making cheese are in the acidic range.  Use leftover pH 4.0 calibration solution to refill the sponge in the cap (pour out the old stuff first.)  I often attach the pH meter to the side of the pot so the tip is permanently in the milk.  The meter shuts off automatically after a short period of time.  But you can quickly get an accurate reading by pushing the ON button.  Even though the meter was off, you won't have to wait a minute to get an accurate reading.

Mighty Mouse

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 07:55:15 AM »
I'll also throw in a +1 for the ph100/ph110, although I have no experience with the pH Tester30. Regarding Extech, the difference between the ph100 and ph110 is that the ph110 ships with a refillable probe module, the module on the ph100 is not refillable(as you noted). You can interchange tips though (IE buy the ph100 and then replace the tip with a tip for the ph110). I bought the ph110 myself- I will note that, ironically, I went to refill the probe recently and broke the reference junction following the instructions in the manual so I am feeling a little irate toward the ph110's probe.

Again  though, no experience with the Oakton, hopefully someone here has some perspective on it (I would be interested myself). I do have a friend who uses Oakton pH meters and thus may have used it- I will ask next time I see him. Personally, given the bulb style tip, I would be hesitant. I went with Extech because of the flat tip.