Author Topic: Baby Gouda with mustard seed  (Read 8184 times)

tnbquilt

Re: Baby Gouda with mustard seed
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2012, 01:43:34 AM »
The grocery stores where I live have very little cheese variations. Mostly Kraft massive produced stuff.  I have to drive to Atlanta to get nice cheeses at the female market. They have foods from all over the world.  The cheese area is over whelming. I don't see a Beechers very often

Offline botanist

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
  • Default personal text
    • CalOakGoats
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2012, 06:07:05 AM »
The grocery stores where I live have very little cheese variations. Mostly Kraft massive produced stuff.  I have to drive to Atlanta to get nice cheeses at the female market. They have foods from all over the world.  The cheese area is over whelming. I don't see a Beechers very often

What's a 'female market'?
before goats, store bought milk = chevre & feta, with goats, infinite possibilities, goatie love, lotta work cleaning out the barn!

tnbquilt

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2012, 02:21:30 PM »
My phone corrected the word for me. It is the Dekalb World Market. How my iphone came up with female I'll never know.

http://www.dekalbfarmersmarket.com/

"Here you'll find over 400 different varieties of cheeses from Switzerland to Uruguay, direct from the best sources available in this country and abroad. We offer many blue cheese, fresh goat cheeses and many old world and modern favorites. "

bbracken677

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2012, 03:30:39 PM »
What's a 'female market'?

I am just going to bite my tongue here!!!!!!!   >:D

JeffHamm

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2012, 04:09:16 PM »
Ah, the joys of autocorrect.

Offline botanist

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
  • Default personal text
    • CalOakGoats
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2012, 07:03:15 PM »
that is a weird auto-correct result!  DeKalb...might be a derivative of the German das Kalb (the calf), a 'nueter' gender word
before goats, store bought milk = chevre & feta, with goats, infinite possibilities, goatie love, lotta work cleaning out the barn!

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2012, 04:23:45 AM »
How long are they aged for before trying?
-Bill
One day I will add something here...

hoeklijn

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2012, 09:14:58 AM »
If you're asking about my mustard seed Gouda's, I cut the first when it was about 10 weeks. To my taste the mustard was a bit to overwhelming, next time I make it I will not add the water I used for steaming the seeds.

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2012, 09:56:11 AM »
If you're asking about my mustard seed Gouda's, I cut the first when it was about 10 weeks. To my taste the mustard was a bit to overwhelming, next time I make it I will not add the water I used for steaming the seeds.

Thanks, 10 weeks isn't very long.
As for adding the water, I feel the same with my Cumin seed Leiden. It's nice to see the seeds but adding all the water made it a bit over the top..
-Bill

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2012, 02:39:46 PM »
As for adding the water, I feel the same with my Cumin seed Leiden. It's nice to see the seeds but adding all the water made it a bit over the top..
I added the water that my cumin seeds were boiled in and it was still pretty mild. I liked it fine though.

How much cumin seed did you add per how much milk? Mine was 1TBS/4gal.

To my taste the mustard was a bit to overwhelming, next time I make it I will not add the water I used for steaming the seeds.
Sorry to hear about the excess mustard character, Herman. Part of your education, I guess. I've got a lot of that going on myself lately. :P

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2012, 07:39:34 PM »
I added the water that my cumin seeds were boiled in and it was still pretty mild. I liked it fine though.

How much cumin seed did you add per how much milk? Mine was 1TBS/4gal.

Aah, I used 1 TBS/2gal boiled for 20 minutes.
I might keep the amount of seeds the same for appearance and only add half the liquid next time.
I might have to do this on a day I am making a curry so I can use the other half of the liquid.  ;D
-Bill

hoeklijn

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2012, 11:31:03 AM »
Sorry to hear about the excess mustard character, Herman. Part of your education, I guess. I've got a lot of that going on myself lately. :P

-Boofer-

Ah well, it's all a matter of taste. Some time ago I made a Pepper Jack that was too strong for some people, but I loved it  ;D
And this Mustard Gouda I didn't like, so next time I will adjust the recipe...