Author Topic: Wrapping a triple cream?  (Read 5074 times)

Offline mgasparotto

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 6
  • Cheesemaking, Homebrewing Librarian in Queens, NY
Wrapping a triple cream?
« on: December 19, 2012, 03:46:36 PM »
Hi everyone - I'm new to bloomy rinds and wanted to know if there is an advantage to wrapping my triple creams before aging? They're 8 days old right now and have a gorgeous bloom. Thanks for any thoughts!
Melissa

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
Re: Wrapping a triple cream?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 11:00:14 PM »
HI Melissa,  I am not an expert but I have made quite a few makes of bloomy cheeses by now and what I've been told is the following.  I am not sure why this important info is not included in all the recipes....kind of frustrating!  Sooo, here it goes.  I've been told that when the bloom happens it's important to pat/tap it down rather than letting it get so luxuriant. 
If it goes too nuts you'll end up with slip skin which some people say will separate the skin from the inner cheese leading to the inner cheese ripening being stopped.  I have had trouble with the separation but in my experience it does not halt the ripening of the inner paste.  Patting it down and wrapping it in proper paper will help you get a great cheese out of your efforts.  If you need nice paper send a private message to Yoav  (iratherfly) and ask him. You can see what this paper looks like if you check out my Valencay style make #4 here:  http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,10655.0.html

I really like this paper because I can see what's happening without unwrapping every time.  I also like it because with the leaves on my cheese it lets that show through.  I'll be trying it on my shitake brie this time around too and I'll see what it looks like with that. 

So pat that cheese down and wrap it and put in the refrigerator if you want to do what I do.  That's the suggestions offered to me and they've worked.  Having too much PC bloom is likened to cooking chicken too hot and having the skin cook and the inside raw.  Does any of this make sense?  Hope I haven't confused you any and maybe others will chime in. 

Offline mgasparotto

• Medium Cheese
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 10:45:40 PM »
Thanks, Tiarella. I did go ahead and pat them down and wrap them the day after I posted this question. You're right, though, a clear cheese wrap would make it easier to tell what's going on inside. I'm using a 2-layer cheese paper from Formaticum that I picked up at Beecher's, which isn't transparent. I'm pretty sure there isn't a problem with a too-thick rind or slip skin, at least for the moment. Will definitely post a photo when I cut one. 

Your cheeses are absolutely beautiful, by the way. Really stunning.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 11:08:15 PM »
Your cheeses are absolutely beautiful, by the way. Really stunning.

Thank you! 

Will definitely post a photo when I cut one.

Oh, please do!  I love looking at how people's cheese are turning out.  My main gripe with cheese recipe books is that I really need to see photos of what molds work best  (size, perforations, etc.) and what the cheese looks like at various stages of it's ripening. 
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 10:08:16 PM by Tiarella »

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 11:54:31 PM »
Tiarella, have you ever used parchment paper to wrap cheese?
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

bbracken677

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 12:56:12 AM »
I have poked holes in the parchment and used as an inner wrapper, with a wax paper as an outer wrapper before...worked well. The cheese is still able to breathe a bit without a huge loss of moisture.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 04:07:07 AM »
Thanks BB!!

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 04:59:32 AM »

I have not.  I really like the micro crystalline paper I get from Yoav.

bbracken677

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 01:53:09 PM »

I have not.  I really like the micro crystalline paper I get from Yoav.

Of course, this is a better solution than my "rigged" one above.     haha

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 04:46:33 PM »
I have cheese paper but thought the cooking parchment might be a way to save money. ;D

mbox

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2012, 07:38:12 PM »
I have cheese paper but thought the cooking parchment might be a way to save money. ;D
I made double cream brie some month ago and fairly thick too, cooler temps and parchment paoer later were doing the job....my friends all loved it so i make new ones nownagain

Offline mgasparotto

• Medium Cheese
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2013, 07:21:02 PM »
As promised, here are photos of the triple cream I wrapped a couple weeks ago. I'm pretty happy with the way the paste came out-soft without being gooey. I was going for a brillat-savarin style. I think I undersalted, so next time I can improve the flavor a bit. I probably won't wrap the next time, just keep patting it down when I flip it, because as you can see it's ammoniated a bit.