Author Topic: Stilton in the make  (Read 11107 times)

sofusryge

Re: Stilton in the make
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2013, 07:44:17 PM »
Well, i cut the cheese today on day 60. Nice firm and creamy consistency, but not as much blue veining as i hoped for. Taste is rather mild blue with a slightly bitter note and a hint of sweetness that I'm yet to decide if i find desireable or not. My wife think it's nice though, and for a first try, i find it decent to. But not spot on like i hoped for. I think i need to purchase a more aggressive PR for the next blue.

rolsen99

« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2013, 08:36:54 PM »
Wow, that looks really nice too.  Everyone is cutting their blues lately!  I am feeling the peer pressure, think I will do it tonight  :-\

sofusryge

« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2013, 10:31:03 AM »
Yeah, there's a spree of Cut the Stilton going on. I found it quite exciting cutting into this cheese, as i had not sampled it in advance. There's a whole lot more visibly going on in a blue cheese than in a Caerphilly or a Cheddar. I must get myself a cheese trier, it can't be that difficult to craft from a piece of copper or ss tube. I would probably have waited a few weeks to cut this if i had known the level of bluing.

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2013, 03:33:25 PM »
I think it looks great, a little less blue than I like, when I let mine sit in the fridge awhile the flavor intensifies a little and they blend together,
I'll bet it tastes great  :)
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2013, 10:00:34 PM »
I must get myself a cheese trier, it can't be that difficult to craft from a piece of copper or ss tube.

I made one from a piece of copper plate and a steel bar using only my vice and ordinary hammer. It's a bit rough but works fine and you can throw it in the dishwasher.

-Bill
One day I will add something here...