Author Topic: my first parmesan  (Read 1952 times)

akhoneybee

my first parmesan
« on: March 27, 2013, 05:07:53 PM »
I'm ready to make my first parmesan! I receive 2 gallons of raw cow milk every Monday and I'm looking for recommendations for my first venture into thermophillic cheeses.  Could anyone give me a nice recipe for a long aged parm?  I have lipase and the thermophillic pack from New England Cheesemaking, I also have a Meso 2, 3 and an Aroma B. A Danisco 4001, 4002, Flora Danica.  I don't have access to purchase any other thermophillic cultures by Tuesday.  I'm planning on a long aging process.  I currently have 2 goudas, 2 cheddars aging (the 1st cheddar I cracked at 6 weeks (yeck!) and resealed).  I made my first batch of crottin yesterday from goat milk and they are looking really nice, dumped into molds after an 20 hour wait and I used MA 4001 and a little splash of aroma B with Geo and PCA.  I've pasteurized to 145 on the goudas. 

It's hard with the aged cheeses, you have to wait so long to taste your cheese.  Crossing my fingers for the Crottins and my aging crew!

BobE102330

Re: my first parmesan
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 09:16:30 PM »
Go up to the main board - Parmesan recipe 

Use your thermo pack for culture.  I question the time to cut in the recipe above, though the rest of it looks right.  Parmesan wants to be hard and dry (low moisture retention), which means it should be cut fairly early.  I'd expect a shorter time between rennet and cutting, a flocculation multiplier closer to 2.  See when-to-cut/ for the flocculation method of timing. I use the 200 Easy Cheeses recipe and cutting is usually around 30 minutes if I get my rennet quantity correct.

I started out wanting to make long aging cheeses.  I discovered this board and found short aging cheeses to fill the gaps until the long aging cheeses are ready.  Short aging cheeses are also good to help get your technique under control. 

Without pictures nobody will believe you made crottins. ;)