Author Topic: Parmesan! (provided the worlds doesn't end Friday)  (Read 11689 times)

bbracken677

Re: Parmesan! (provided the worlds doesn't end Friday)
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2013, 02:57:51 PM »

I am now fascinated with the process, I am a newbie in duh woods, and havin one heck of a good time experimentin ;D   

Ditto!  I enjoy the process as well as the successes...it's really nice getting a good result that is tasty, and the challenge to improve your process and the outcome is a huge part of it as well.

But if you have a culture mix that seems to do what you want, why not stay with it? Case in point, at varying times I like Kazu (LL, LC, LD, LH) and MA4001 (LL, LC, LD, ST). I really like Alp D (LL, LC, LD, ST, LH, LBL) and PLA (Brevibacterium linens, Arthrobacter nicotianae, Debaryomyces hanseii, Geotrichum candidum...2 forms of linens, a yeast, and Geo).

There are occasions when I feel like simple, less complicated is called for. Then I just go with a single strain like Aroma B.

-Boofer-

Boofer...I agree with you.  I have plenty of SuCasu left so I will be using that for some time with my italian makes. At the same time I see the advantage to having the basic components, so to speak, and be able to use them with more flexibility.  The downside is that I have no idea what the proportions are in SuCasu, and as Sailor put it there are differences in strains as well.

I too like the Alp D and Kazu. My best cheddars to date (havent opened many) seem to have been from the kazu tree. 

Good news is, I have lots of time to make up my mind which way to go   :)

bbracken677

« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2013, 10:48:05 PM »

1 cup milk = 8 or 9 grams protein
1 cup of cream = 96 grams fat

I had 1.5 gallons of non-fat milk so that amounts to 216 grams protein (with the milk I had)  and 2 cups of cream would be 192 grams of fat for a P/F ratio of 216/192 or 1.125.  The raw milk should have been somewhere in the 4% neighborhood which would  lower the P/F ratio.

It appears that perhaps I should have used just one and a half cups of cream.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2013, 02:32:24 PM »
the fewer cultures I need to use up the less the cost per cheese
I have stretched my cultures by using Sailor's mother culture process. A 1/32nd teaspoon of culture (MA4001, Alp D, Aroma B, TA61, etc.) fermented in a half gallon of milk gives me 64 one-ounce cubes. I use one vacuum bag of 8 cubes for a 4 gallon make. Works well. The unopened vacuum bag comes out of the freezer and is submerged in a bowl of tepid water to gently thaw the cubes. It doesn't take long and then the mother culture is ready to be added to the milk.

Let me repeat myself: 1/32 tsp culture makes eight 4-gallon cheeses.  8)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

JeffHamm

« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2013, 06:04:59 PM »
I do this as well and 3 or 4 ice cubes works well for a 10-11 litre make.  I just put the cubes in the milk before I start warming it to starting temperature, and that works fine for me.

- Jeff

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2013, 01:16:00 AM »
I just put the cubes in the milk before I start warming it to starting temperature, and that works fine for me.
Yeah, I tried that first, but didn't like waiting for the cubes to melt. :)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

JeffHamm

« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2013, 05:05:07 AM »
Hi,

I just starting warming the milk, and they melt as it comes up to 30 C (or whatever the target temp is).  Seems to work fine.

- Jeff