Author Topic: Brick #1  (Read 53 times)

Offline Prohoc

• New Cheese
  • Cheeses: 1
  • Default personal text
Brick #1
« on: December 04, 2014, 02:04:45 PM »
Based off of the recipe at cheesemaking.com/brick.html.  Since I was out of MM100 I used Meso III instead - has Lactococcus lactis ssp. lactis and Lactococcus lactis ssp. cremoris but no ssp. diacetylactis.  I also left out B. linens culture.  Almost all of the cheeses we made so far had some B. linens show up early, welcome or not.  I wanted to rely on that local linens for this.

2 gal. First Street milk
1/4 tsp Meso III
1/2 tsp rennet
1/2 tsp CC

1. Milk to 88 F
2. Add 1/4 tsp Meso III
3. Ripen for 10 minutes
4. Add 1/2 tsp CC, 1/2 tsp rennet
5. Rest for 30 minutes
6. Cut into 3/4 in. squares, then into 3/8 in. cubes
7. Rest for 5 minutes
8. Stir gently for 10 minutes
9. Raise to 100 F over 45 minutes, stirring slowly
10. Remove 2 qt whey
11. Add 65 F water until the temperature of the curds is 85 F
12. Let the curds settle and remove whey
13. Drain in mold for 15 minutes
14. Press at 2# for 3 hours, turning regularly
15. Leave in mold overnight with no weight
16. Brine for 5 hours

I washed and flipped every day for the first ten days.  As per Alp's guidelines, I kept the same brine for the whole time.  At first I washed with a cloth.  Some pink flecks of B. linens showed up all over within three days.  The cheese started to smell yeasty, and then grew more earthy after a few days.  At the end of a week the cheese hardly had any color or smear.  I could tell the cloth wasn't cutting it.  I then started smearing with a brush, and that did the trick.
These pictures are from day 13 or so.  I had stopped washing it the last few days before I wrapped it and put it in the fridge.  Oh, and the smell had gone from earthy to devilish.
Been in the fridge for two weeks.  I plan on opening it around Christmas.  Different recipes call for anywhere fro 3 weeks to 3 months of cold storage.  Any experiences with aging time?