Author Topic: 'Baby' B. Linens?  (Read 6131 times)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: 'Baby' B. Linens?
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2015, 08:41:52 PM »
1/64 tsp PC   ???
1/128 tsp PC  ???

Did you sterilise the cotton pads Boofer? Or are cosmetic things generally sterile already? They look like a great way of making it less stressful 
No, I used them straight out of the package, figuring that they would be fairly clear and that the bacterial wash I was using would dominate. After several years of using them with umpteen cheeses, they have helped to contribute to lowering my stress level. ;)

Did I miss something with your PC dosage?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Revilo

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2015, 07:55:01 AM »
Ah ooops. I meant:

500ml distilled water
5 tsp Salt
1/64 tsp PC
1/128 tsp BL

Will have to go out and get me some wipes now  :D

Revilo

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2015, 08:12:37 AM »
I just saw your post now Stinky. Thanks for the wash combination. I'll be trying that then. Is BL added/required, or is it not worth it if going for a wine taste? I might start a new thread for this cheese.

A Cheese for you both for the help  8)

Stinky

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2015, 03:25:11 PM »
I just saw your post now Stinky. Thanks for the wash combination. I'll be trying that then. Is BL added/required, or is it not worth it if going for a wine taste? I might start a new thread for this cheese.

A Cheese for you both for the help  8)

If you use wine in the brine, you shouldn't need to add linens. You probably won't get a very bright red color at first, but it gets better after the first few cheeses. The point of the wine is to kill molds on the surface, 'cos there's alcohol in it, and then the moisture lets linens, which is not affected by the salt or the wine, thrive. I usually use white wine, which gives a more yellow color, but red wine works just as well. You'll probably end up with a more purply-blackish surface. The thread should be able to cover all you need on that.

I doubt you'll get too much wine flavor in this, more linens. Let me know.

Revilo

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2015, 09:31:22 AM »
You probably won't get a very bright red color at first, but it gets better after the first few cheeses.

Do you mean after a few washes? Either way I'm already really looking forward to this cheese. Will the BL just develop from the atmosphere?

It looks like I am going to have to use port because that's all I can find at the moment. I started a new post for this experiment/cheese :D

Stinky

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2015, 01:35:34 PM »
You probably won't get a very bright red color at first, but it gets better after the first few cheeses.

Do you mean after a few washes? Either way I'm already really looking forward to this cheese. Will the BL just develop from the atmosphere?

It looks like I am going to have to use port because that's all I can find at the moment. I started a new post for this experiment/cheese :D

For me, while I got linens fairly soon, it took a number of cheeses to get the color. Which doesn't really matter if you use red wine.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2015, 02:38:32 PM »
It looks like I am going to have to use port because that's all I can find at the moment.
I'd be wary of using a sweet alcoholic wash if you can avoid it. The one time I tried it, yeasts attacked the rind. :'(

-Boofer-

Let's ferment something!

Stinky

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2015, 03:44:15 PM »
Yeah, I advised against port in the final thread. I think wine is fairly neutral, comparatively.

Revilo

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2015, 04:32:06 PM »
Thanks for the heads up  :D
I managed to get some red wine so I'm about to try that now

Revilo

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2015, 10:27:52 AM »
I kept one of the cheeses from the original batch that hadn't surface-ripened quite as much as the others. It still felt hard when the others got eaten, so I wrapped it up in cheese paper to see what would happen. After 2 weeks in the normal fridge, it turned out very similar (well at least some resemblance) to a Brie de Meaux.

Might try these again but not wash them quite as much with BL. My understanding is also that the curds are cut smaller than for a camembert so that it's not quite as gooey. Experimenting seems to be the best way to learn  ;D

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2015, 10:38:55 PM »
Absolutely gorgeous cheese!

Nice job...have a cheese.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Revilo

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2015, 09:28:40 AM »
Thanks Boofer  :D

cheesytokyo

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2015, 09:16:37 AM »
Hi, by the way, I used a different bottled water and there were no bright yellow inflorescence on the cheese, so, I'm happy with the conclusion that it was something harmless in the water.  Nice to have a scrumptious looking cheese, rather than an alarming one ;)