Author Topic: A response to Alp  (Read 216 times)

Offline andreark

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 1
  • Default personal text
A response to Alp
« on: October 25, 2014, 12:52:21 PM »
Your post on washed rinds was very interesting so I tried it, , , on an epoisses type.  This cheese is now over 5 weeks old and never actually got to the gooey stage. (I have tried these many times and all previous rinds got VERY gooey.)   These cheeses (4) got to a rather wet and sticky stage but not gooey.  It is now a lovely shade of orange and the rind is only slightly tacky.  Since it never actually got to the smooshy stage, I don't know how it will mature.  But I guess we'll see.  I'll post in a few weeks with the results.

andrea

Offline Alpkäserei

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 63
  • Default personal text
    • https://www.facebook.com/Kaesereigrimwald
Re: A response to Alp
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 05:15:21 PM »
SOrry I am only now responding.

The main point of washing is to prepare the rind for aging, so it will not mold or crack. If you have that (which I should think you) you are good. I am actually always trying to develop a reliable method of making my rinds thinner.
Guät git's dr schwiizer Chäser

Offline andreark

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 1
  • Default personal text
Re: A response to Alp
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 05:07:00 PM »
Well it's been quite a while since my first post to you.  The cheese shown in the photo LOOKED promising, but it never ripened (softened) properly.  I cut it open last week and it was hard as a rock. 

I don't have any problelms with a rennet type washed rind such as a Taleggio, it's just the semi-lactic, washed rind types that don't want to ripen well.  If they aren't getting hard as a rock, they develop a mushy rind.  I WANT A FIRM RIND LIKE THE 'REAL DEAL'.

Oh well, I'll try again after Christmas.  But meanwhile , , , if anyone out there has some idea of how to get that lovely 'gooey' interior on a semi-lactic type with a firm and dry rind, please let me know.

Thanks again Alp.

Andrea