Author Topic: LACTIC CURD Washed Rind  (Read 5608 times)

andreark

Re: LACTIC CURD Washed Rind
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2015, 10:19:18 PM »
Stinky,

What was that supposed to mean?

Stinky

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2015, 11:41:24 PM »
Stinky,

What was that supposed to mean?

I think the question was what culture(s) are you using to acidify the milk.

gravity84

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2015, 09:07:00 PM »
Trying one right now.  Started yesterday afternoon at around 6.  Not following a specific recipe per se but I've read a lot of various ones, kinda going off the cuff just for funsies.

1 gal cow milk @ 90F
3 oz cultured buttermilk
1/4 tsp CaCl
4 drops rennet

Put in a cooler with a bit of boiling water run on the walls and kept on the bottm (like 4 cups worth, not much at all, just to give the cavity some thermal energy).  Transferred the milk to a cambro and placed in cooler and closed top. 

Air temp was about 90F when I closed it up, about 87F when I went to bed so I topped off with a bit more boiling water.  Was 80F when I woke up this morning.  Topped with a bit more water again and got it to 87Fish and thought that was good enough.

Around lunchtime today it looked pretty good and set with the whey floating up top:

so I cut it and bain marie'd it on low heat and brought it to about 90F again:

Tried to scoop the curds and holy lol they're soft...so I'm ladling them into some doubled butter muslin right now and draining hoping I can salvage it haha

Stinky

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2015, 12:20:36 AM »
Yeah, these curds are soft, particularly because the process has left more water trapped inside them and the matrix is not as strong as it would be with rennet. What's pretty important here is ladling carefully and evenly. Rather than chunks, take a slotted spoon thingy and sort of pick it up in ribbons and try to evenly put it in the mold. Otherwise you'll have moisture and texture differences.

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2015, 04:39:28 AM »
I know the brief here was little or no Rennet but I've made this twice now and I've had the owners of a French cheese outlet say it is the closest thing to Époisses without actually being from France ....

http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,14981.0.html   

As you can see from the images it get nice a wrinkly washed with Brandy and it tastes 'Almost' like Époisses and left to get to room temperature it has the 'Hello !!' aroma and it is definitely runny.... Give it a go..

-- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

gravity84

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2015, 08:49:56 PM »
So I let it drain in butter muslin overnight, this morning it was kind of creamcheese/chevre texture so I scooped it into camembert size molds.  I hope it can still consolidate and form a nice cheese.

Stinky

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2015, 03:17:59 PM »
So I let it drain in butter muslin overnight, this morning it was kind of creamcheese/chevre texture so I scooped it into camembert size molds.  I hope it can still consolidate and form a nice cheese.

Next time pry just scooping straight into molds. It'll never really firm up too much, but enough to turn.

gravity84

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2015, 11:47:05 PM »

so it's been draining since yesterday.  firm enough now that I can take the molds off so I did that, and salted it.  Might be able to save this one after all.