Author Topic: Traditional Washing -The hows, whys, whens, whats, and what not (by request)  (Read 47299 times)

Mermaid

Re: Traditional Washing -The hows, whys, whens, whats, and what not (by request)
« Reply #105 on: February 14, 2015, 02:31:45 PM »
I'm using cheap boxed wine . That way it doesn't go bad it's in a air tight bag.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Re: Traditional Washing -The hows, whys, whens, whats, and what not (by request)
« Reply #106 on: February 14, 2015, 04:07:06 PM »
I'm using cheap boxed wine . That way it doesn't go bad it's in a air tight bag.

Franzio Crisp White is the best!  Oh, did I say that out loud?  LOL
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

LoftyNotions

« Reply #107 on: February 14, 2015, 07:41:56 PM »

Franzio Crisp White is the best!  Oh, did I say that out loud?  LOL

Your pain meds must be kicking in. ;)

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #108 on: February 14, 2015, 07:46:38 PM »
I wish!!   :-[

Mermaid

« Reply #109 on: February 15, 2015, 01:17:18 AM »
I bought the "Rhine" flavor of Franzia - thought it would go better with the appenzeller than the Chardonnay option ;)

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #110 on: February 15, 2015, 01:21:52 AM »
Yeah, Chardonnay sucks.  The Crisp White is very neutral which is why I recommended it.

shotski

« Reply #111 on: February 16, 2015, 10:54:55 PM »
Chardonnay is really good for basting turkey

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #112 on: February 16, 2015, 11:17:27 PM »
Crisp White is really good for basting Al. LOL ::)

Mermaid

« Reply #113 on: February 19, 2015, 05:26:05 PM »
Questions !
1. Between washing a I'm having a small amount of what seems to be geo mold growth. Can I just wash that into the cheese with my brine?
2. Will washing a cheese with a small amount of blue mold spread the mold all over the cheese?
3. How quickly should the cheese be drying off after washing? My cheese cave is around 85rh
4. I've noticed that the cheeses I am washing are getting the annoying and nameless brown spotty mold. Why? Does this happen to others? It makes me sad :(

Any replies to any of these loaded questions will be well received ! Thanks!!

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #114 on: February 19, 2015, 05:41:38 PM »
If you wash once with straight wine it should kill any mold growth.  After that wash with the wine/brine solution and the schmier will develop including the geo which will help form the rind.  You can brush that into any cracks that may open and seal them up tight.  You can see in this first picture some small cracks that came up on the Mutschli I did, with Alp's assistance.  After washing though you can see the surface is completely sealed in the second picture.  The brown spots can be removed with a small brush, toothbrush size, prior to washing and the schmier will fill in any small dips that may develop. I washed this one daily for a week and then twice a week.  It dried out between washings.  I know I keep posting these but they are the best example of washing I have.  Hope this answers your questions. ;)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 09:18:51 PM by Al Lewis »

Offline sprocket

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 4
  • Default personal text
« Reply #115 on: February 20, 2015, 12:30:17 AM »
That's a nice looking cheese, Al.  Have you cut into it yet?  What sort of thickness of rind were you able to develop through your washing regime?  How long did you age it for?

shaneb

Thanks for all of the great information in this thread. Earlier on it was suggested that b. linens could be added to the brine washing mix. I have some in the freezer at the moment. Is it worth my while adding some or are wild b. linens preferred? If so, how much should I add?

Thanks.

Shane

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
With regard to wild b. Linens ...

I had a momentary vision of music blaring as a DVD opens with the title ...

GERMS GONE WILD!

Okay, clearly I have not had enough sleep -- the filters are not working properly ...
-- Andy

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
That's a nice looking cheese, Al.  Have you cut into it yet?  What sort of thickness of rind were you able to develop through your washing regime?  How long did you age it for?

This cheese was cut at 60 days.  It's a 6 pound Mutschli which is the reason for the short aging.  This picture clearly shows the rind development when it was cut.

Offline sprocket

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 4
  • Default personal text
This cheese was cut at 60 days.  It's a 6 pound Mutschli which is the reason for the short aging.  This picture clearly shows the rind development when it was cut.

Beauty!  Thanks for posting that, Al!