Author Topic: Traditional Washing -The hows, whys, whens, whats, and what not (by request)  (Read 46123 times)

Alpkäserei

So we keep the temperature down so that it is easier to control the rind.
Some times if you want your rinds to be not so strong, you might even lower the temperature to around 50 or even a little lower.

Mermaid

Good to know alp! I was worries my cave was too cold at 51 but I guess it's not so bad. My rinds have significantly improved since reading this thread . Thanks for all your help.

I thought tomme was supposed to be kind of spontaneous rind? I don't add micodore or whatever or GEO. Is my cheese going to be boring?

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Your cheese will be fine.  Adding additional cultures and molds to cheeses can give them certain nuances that improve the taste but they can also ruoin them if you use the wrong ones.  I usually review a number of makes from other folks to see what they have done and what results the got before gambling on adding "other things" to my cheeses.  The Vacherin Mont D'Or was the exception.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

gravity84

Re: Traditional Washing -The hows, whys, whens, whats, and what not (by request)
« Reply #138 on: November 03, 2015, 07:40:59 PM »
the op mentioned b. linens "natural to the environment around us" but it seems like most everyone relies on cultures.  Any steps in particular if I want to try doing the natural to the environment path and reduce the risk of contaminating with wild stuff I don't want?

Offline sprocket

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 4
  • Default personal text
Re: Traditional Washing -The hows, whys, whens, whats, and what not (by request)
« Reply #139 on: November 03, 2015, 07:47:09 PM »
the op mentioned b. linens "natural to the environment around us" but it seems like most everyone relies on cultures.  Any steps in particular if I want to try doing the natural to the environment path and reduce the risk of contaminating with wild stuff I don't want?

For some of our cheeses, I'll just wash with a 3% salt solution 2-3 times per week and we'll have an amazing brevi red develop over a couple weeks, no culture required.  B. linens likes salt and it likes moisture, so as long as you're keeping it moist (not dripping wet - I always shake my brush before washing), you'll probably do just fine.

Stinky

« Reply #140 on: November 07, 2015, 03:38:15 PM »

It'll take a little bit to get it going good. Just do what you have here in the OP. Make a brine with maybe 1/6th wine, and 8-16% salt content. Brush the cheese with it every day, and then less often based off the schedule Alp outlines. It may not show up as well the first few cheeses, but it'll get going soon enough.