Author Topic: Traditional Washing -The hows, whys, whens, whats, and what not (by request)  (Read 46119 times)

tnbquilt

It is a thin schmier, but I was happy to acquire it. I will add more wine and keep going. I appreciate the advice. I'm sorry about your finger! In a world where I work on a computer for a living, the broken finger is really tough.

Alpkäserei

Here are some pics. Thought it might be helpful

« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 06:16:57 PM by Alpkäserei »

Alpkäserei

The first cheeses are al during their first 10 day washing. One is still in the brine. The last are in the aging cellar, you can see the white dusting on some that are a few months old already.

shotski

WOW that is awesome  :P The wheel you are holding how many gallons did it take to make and how much does it weigh?

Alpkäserei

Each wheel of cheese represents one day's milk. On this Alp, that is amounting to 130 to 150 Liters depending on how the cows are doing. For a cheese cooked hard like Berner Alpkäse, which most of those shown are (the ones in the last picture with red labels on the side are Mutschli) this will yield maybe 15 kg or so of Cheese.

The form is called a Järb and is of adjustable diameter, so that the height remains constant. Here is how they look:

Notice also the block upon which the cheese is placed to be washed. The block is smaller than the diameter of the cheese, making it easy to wash the sides, and also letting excess moisture drip off onto the table.

shotski

Very nice setup. What size vat are you using?

Alpkäserei

This is on the Alp Vorder Rüderigs in the Berner Oberland, not in Indiana. The vat or 'Chäs-Chessi' is 150 liters, about 40 gallons

shotski

This is on the Alp Vorder Rüderigs in the Berner Oberland, not in Indiana.

I did wonder about that. My son has been living in Warsaw Poland for 5 years and last year he got married their. My wife and I went over for the wedding. We also did a side trip to Krakow and it was there that the rural farmers from the mountains sold there cheese that inspired me to pursue the cheese making hobby.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 12:26:36 AM by shotski »

tnbquilt

My Swiss that I quit washing a few weeks ago has that nice white powder on it. I'm glad I accomplished something in the right direction. My Gruyere still has the thin smear on it, but I washed it for over 2 weeks so I'm going to quit now and let it go. I turned over the Swiss yesterday and it smells wonderful. You don't get cheese at the store with that kind of an odor to it.

The pictures are great! Thanks for posting

Alpkäserei

You do often continue to wash the cheese once a week for maybe 3 or 4 months, but this isnt entirely necessary if the cheese wont be aged terribly long.

Cheese in Poland? What do Slavs know about cheese?  ;D (joke- please dont hate me. Just remember the Swiss make fun of everybody, especially each other, but especially those that aren't Swiss, it's like the national sport)

shotski

Cheese in Poland? What do Slavs know about cheese?  ;D (joke- please dont hate me. Just remember the Swiss make fun of everybody, especially each other, but especially those that aren't Swiss, it's like the national sport)

Most of the cheeses were fresh or not aged very long. As for hating you I am Canadian I am to polite to even think of it.  ;D

meyerandray

I made a sort of gouda today, which I dry salted as opposed to brine. Would I do my first wash tomorrow? I don't have wood shelves, just the sacrilege plastic racks, in a mini wine fridge, can I try this anyway? I have a wooden plank I could use, I think it is pine, should I try that on top of the fridge shelf? I want to wash with beer, is there a ratio of beer to water to salt? I use a fingernail brush for my cheeses, will that work?  I don't have any b.kinsman to add to my wash, and don't know if I have any naturally present, will this work anyway?
Sorry for all the questions, especially if they should be obvious, or have already been answered.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Just thought I would throw in a quick shot of my latest Mutschli.  Cognac washed with a nice schmier going on.  This has become one of our favorite cheeses.  Thanks again Alp!! ;D  I'll be smoking the next one.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 02:14:59 PM by Al Lewis »
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
WOW NICE CHEESE!!!  :)
I can taste it MMMmmmMMMmmmmMMMMM
and a cheese for your cheese :D
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Thanks a million H-K-J!! ;D
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos