Author Topic: Traditional Washing -The hows, whys, whens, whats, and what not (by request)  (Read 46214 times)

LoftyNotions

Thanks for all of the great information in this thread. Earlier on it was suggested that b. linens could be added to the brine washing mix. I have some in the freezer at the moment. Is it worth my while adding some or are wild b. linens preferred? If so, how much should I add?

Thanks.

Shane
Well, Shane, that depends... :)

Any B. linens growing on your cheese will cause some stench. Some are worse than others. If you don't want any stink, just go with occasional wine washes when you get growth you don't want.

Of the recent cheeses I've made, I used SR3 linenson a Tomme and a couple  batches of Reblochon. The Rebs had that nice rotten crab stench :o , and the Tomme, which also has Micodore, is a nice orange, but the smell is heavenly mushroom. I think Micodore won out on that one. My natural linens Gorgonzola, which I just manhandled every time I flipped it, smells sorta like a horse barn. I'm happy with all of them.

Do this one 1 way, and do the next one slightly differently. See which you like better. :)

Larry

shaneb

Thanks Larry. I will continue and see how I go. It is just hard to imagine that something that smells that bad could ever be edible.  :o I have been a little more aggressive today with my wine brine wash and will see how I go.

Shane

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
Hey Larry noticed this

and the Tomme, which also has Micodore, is a nice orange, but the smell is heavenly mushroom

I'm wanting to use this as a rind development for my Caerphilly, but be damnsed if I can get the stuff.  Where to you get yours from ?

Thanks

-- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Google it!!  That seems to be the answer to everything these days. LOL Sorry Mal, I couldn't resist. :-X
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

shaneb

I think I looked it up once and wasn't available in Australia. Presumably customs would actively block it coming into the country.

Shane

LoftyNotions

Hey Larry noticed this

I'm wanting to use this as a rind development for my Caerphilly, but be damnsed if I can get the stuff.  Where to you get yours from ?

Thanks

-- Mal

Well, I spelled it wrong. :) It's Mycodore, and I got it from Artisangeek. (iratherfly or Yoav on this forum).

http://artisangeek.com/danisco-choozit-mycodore-cylindrocaron-fungi/

Larry

Edited to add: The orange color was from B. linens. Mycodore is grayish white.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 09:52:01 AM by LoftyNotions »

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
Thanks for that - I'm setting up with Yoav a tthe moment.  !
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
The Rebs had that nice rotten crab stench :o , and the Tomme, which also has Micodore, is a nice orange, but the smell is heavenly mushroom. I think Micodore won out on that one.
rotten crab stench...   Yeah, I think you've got it! Actually very attractive.  ::)

Last Thursday I duplicated my Tomme #4 using mycodore with PLA and Geo 13. Mycodore is one of the miracle workers/magicians.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Just ordered some, along with some other goodies.  ;D  Maybe my next tallegio won't smell the house up. LOL
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 02:09:48 PM by Al Lewis »

Alpkäserei

Sometimes if you have a strong rotten stench, that is indicative that you need to be keeping your cheese a llittle cooler

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
In the case of the taleggio it's the b linens that cover the entire cheese.

Stinky

In the case of the taleggio it's the b linens that cover the entire cheese.

I think that's what he's trying to say. Linens smells very bad if it is too warm.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Oh my cave is right at 54° F but they stink at any temperature! LOL

shaneb

Sometimes if you have a strong rotten stench, that is indicative that you need to be keeping your cheese a llittle cooler

This is possibly my problem. Our ambient temperature has been on the warm side (up to 25°C max). I was going to use a portable fridge at 20°C, but it was difficult to get the cheese in and out of. The smell was horrendous last night, so I've gone back to a straight wine wash on my Jarlsberg. I do notice an orange tinge on the cheese now.

Shane

Shane

Alpkäserei

There is a problem with things getting out of control if temperatures are too high. I've encountered this before. The slime get's super slimy and will not tame down, and the cheese has an extremely potent odor that is unpleasant, but really is just the regular smell much stronger.