Author Topic: Traditional Washing -The hows, whys, whens, whats, and what not (by request)  (Read 46118 times)

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
No Boofer, that one went south.  LOL This is a Tallegio I did.  It is finally creamy throughout and delicious. Although stinky on the outside. LOL :P
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 11:35:44 PM by Al Lewis »
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Alpkäserei

My theory is that a cheese cave should be so rank, the unitiated lose consciousness when it opened.  :P

JeffHamm

My theory is that a cheese cave should be so rank, the unitiated lose consciousness when it opened.  :P

Hey!  I should keep my cheese in my sock drawer!

- Jeff

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink

Trust me, the Tallegio had just that effect.  LOL
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
That's kind of the puzzling reaction I got when I opened my caves to my stepdaughter recently. My wife has a similar reaction, but she's become more accustomed to the difference in the air quality. ;)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

John@PC

A couple of questions about the Schmier:  First, I run a small ionizer that prevents surface mold growth in my small fridge cave.  Assuming you want to encourage b linens to grow with the brushing do I need to turn off the ionizer to get best results?  Also, I, like Tiarella like to use coconut oil to coat my hard cheeses.  I just finished brushing all of my hard cheeses (most of which had been oil coated) according to your instructions using a stiff bristle brush and mild salt solution.  The salt solution appeared to emulsify the oil and I got a really nice wet "coating" :).  Any thoughts as to if oiled cheese can be successfully schmier'ed or will the oil prevent the mold growth?

tnbquilt

The oil will prevent the mold growth. It's one way or the other way.

John@PC

I went back and read Alp's original post and now understand the timing of the washing.  I did waste my time washing my "oiled" cheeses  :P, but I do have an new tomme-style in the cave and I'm trying to follow his protocol.  This one I plan not to oil.  Thanks for your help.

Smurfmacaw

Re: Traditional Washing -The hows, whys, whens, whats, and what not (by request)
« Reply #68 on: September 18, 2013, 04:49:17 AM »

I think my Chevrotin has achieved just this effect.  My wife asked what the smell was in the garage.....I may have to take Jeff's tack and start saying "excuse me" when I open the cave every time.

rosawoodsii

What am I missing?  I decided to oil a Jack cheese I made a couple of weeks ago and it's growing mold like it's going out of style.  Olive oil, if that makes any difference.

Alpkäserei

Let's back up a minute here...

What molds have you got? (Color, smell, etc.)

I do find it a bit odd to have mold growing on oil (only thing that would make sense to me is the oil all absorbed into the cheese) But also, I do not know really just what the effect of oil on mold is. I know its effect on the bacteriae we like on our rinds, it stops them growing. But I don't know with molds, could be some molds can grow on it.

linuxboy

Yes, they can. Especially if there's a foothold on the underlying substrate.

rosawoodsii

There's both blue mold and grey mold on the surface of the cheese.

Dar

I have esrom sitting in the press. After it comes out of the (18% solution) brine,  I don't know if the brine wash is a 10% solution or a bacterial brine (my recipe is 1/2 cup water, 1 tsp salt, tiny pinch B linens. ) The recipe  says: After daily turning the first week, wash with "a brine solution" every second day after for 5 weeks. Any ideas?

mnml

Can whomever please check out my question on a similar subject: cleaning natural-rind cheeses (not washing with B. linens)

http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,12349.0.html