Author Topic: Traditional Washing -The hows, whys, whens, whats, and what not (by request)  (Read 7605 times)

Offline tnbquilt

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 13
I would like to thank Al for this post on washing the cheese. My rinds on my Swiss, and Gruyere have improved a lot since I started following his advice. I have very little trouble with unwanted mold now.
Tammy

Offline KatKooks

• KatKooks!
  • Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 1
  • Defaul
Thank you, Alpkäserei, very much for this post.  The information has changed how I look at the rind on my cheeses.

I think I gave you a cheese.
Trying to make cheese...

Online ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 41
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
are you always dipping your brush into the same brine, and storing it in there? it helps to get the cheese slime in there to help incubate your linens. our wash water gets really smelly afte a few cheeses, its full of bacteria. the salt and alcohol content keep the good bac around and kill the bad

Alp, when do you actually wash your brush?  I.e., I keep the same brine for a given cheese or batches run close together (I've a 6# hard alpine, and 2 20# Abondance forms...they all get the same brine), and yes, I, too, let it go stinky.  But at some point, I'd presume you risk some things by re-using the same brine, and same brush.  Much like morge, using old rind peelings - I've yet to decide where the cutoff is, in terms of using older cheeses.  So, what's your protocol - when, and how do you wash your horsehair brush, if ever?

Also, I know you like horsehair.  Care to go into this more - why horsehair, as opposed to nylon brushes of approximately the same stiffness (Glengarry's are both currently $99).  And why not say, their surgical brushes?  I've brushes, but as of yet, haven't sunk the money into one of the large, horsehair or nylon brush.  Pav and I have discussed this, and I understand some things now especially on the larger wheels, but curious on why you prefer the horsehair brush.  Many thanks.
- Paul

Offline ijsbiertje

• New Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
Maybe a dumb question but i wonder, does the rind of parmesan gets washed with b. Linens?

Offline Alpkäserei

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 63
  • Default personal text
    • https://www.facebook.com/Kaesereigrimwald
I like horsehair because of the suppleness, and it's ability to hold more liquid than a plastic fiber brush. Also I like it because I like it.

As for how often to wash the brush, I'd say it is good practice to do say maybe monthly. I'm personally tweaking with this.
On the Alp you would not wash it during the entire Alp season, which is somewhere around 100 days.

You will also be happier with a large, round brush. Really the bigger the better (up to a certain point, of course) bigger brushes will give you a better texture on your cheese. Small brushes don't seem to work as well and tend to leave lines. I don't like lines.
Guät git's dr schwiizer Chäser

Online sprocket

• Young Cheese
  • Cheeses: 3
  • Default personal text
Here are some pics. Thought it might be helpful

Alp - How do you get the stamps on some of your cheeses?  We're looking at easier ways of being able to identify which date/batch our cheese are from.  Are these all food grade inks you're using with a custom stamp?