Author Topic: My first Fetta  (Read 2509 times)

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
My first Fetta
« on: December 04, 2012, 06:21:55 AM »
I decided to try a Fetta this time.
I buy sheep or goat Fetta but the other half buys tubs of cow Fetta as it is much cheaper so I decided to do a, roughly, half and half following this thread http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,9915.msg72880.html#msg72880 by scasnerkay.

So I purchase two litres of goat milk and three litres full cream cow milk and clean everything in preparation.
I read through the recipe one more time and suddenly notice - 1/8 tsp mild lipase (in ¼ cup water). I am unlikely to find this on a sunday afternoon...

I must have gone through the recipe half a dozen times previously and it just did not register, so it's off to Mr Google.
I found a very similar recipe that used Yoghurt instead of Lipase and thought "what the heck, let's do it."

The results look a lot yellower in the picture and are nearly snow white in real life .......

So here it is:-

« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 10:25:47 AM by Schnecken Slayer »
-Bill
One day I will add something here...

Offline NimbinValley

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 7
  • Default personal text
Re: My first Feta
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 08:00:15 AM »
They look good to me.

Lipase is not really necessary in goat milk fetta since there is some already naturally present.  Cutting with cow milk will reduce the amount I guess but methinks that it will be fine with out it.  I will be interested to know what it tastes like in 8 weeks or so...but maybe you will have eaten it by then!

NV.

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
Re: My first Feta
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 10:15:54 AM »
They look good to me.

Lipase is not really necessary in goat milk fetta since there is some already naturally present.  Cutting with cow milk will reduce the amount I guess but methinks that it will be fine with out it.  I will be interested to know what it tastes like in 8 weeks or so...but maybe you will have eaten it by then!

NV.

Yes, it probably will not last that long. ROFL
I only made a small batch to see how it would work out, More for the experience than anything else.
I made Ricotta from the whey (knowing the yield would be small) and it has a subtle Fetta taste.

I will definitely do this again (I will let you know what it is like at 8 weeks if any lasts that long) and will use the Yoghurt in it as well.
So far it is softer than cows milk Fetta but not as  smooth as sheep or goat.
All in all a nice balance.
-Bill

Tobiasrer

Re: My first Fetta
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 05:10:39 AM »
Looks great!
I just slipped my first Cows Fetta into the brine! I will add pics once my batteries for the camera are charged lol!
Its a Christmas gift for the mother inlaw

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 08:31:41 AM »
Looks great!
I just slipped my first Cows Fetta into the brine! I will add pics once my batteries for the camera are charged lol!
Its a Christmas gift for the mother inlaw

I look forward to pics when they have finished brining and the batteries are recharged.
-Bill

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 08:33:02 AM »
Well, I had some with a salad today and it is better than I expected.
About half way between a goat Feta and a cow Feta.
It is a little bit silky with a nice crumble and pleasing taste.
-Bill