Author Topic: Queso de Cabrales recipe?  (Read 2786 times)

sofusryge

Queso de Cabrales recipe?
« on: December 22, 2012, 09:04:41 PM »
I've had Queso de Cabrales on a few occasions. It's a very heavily blue veined, highly aromatic Catalonian blue cheese. It's rather crumbly and tastes absolutely divine!

As far as i know, the make differs from most blue cheeses in that it is not pierced to create the blue veining in the cheese, the mould is growing from the outside in. Maybe the curd is so loosely knitted and the surface unsmoothed that it is possible for oxygen to permeate to the center of the cheese?

Does anyone know of an recipe that approximates this cheese? I would love to have a few pounds of the type in my cave.

Offline Albert

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 5
  • Default personal text
Re: Queso de Cabrales recipe?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 09:12:17 PM »
Hi

unfortunately I don't have a recipe for Cabrales. I would like to say just one thing: Cabrales cheese is from an specific geographic area named Cabrales (of course) in the region of Asturies, northern Spain, but it's not from Catalunya.
Best regards from Catalunya, and merry Xmas!!!

sofusryge

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 09:16:34 PM »
Ah, must have got that wrong somehow. Thanks for the correction, and a merry Christmas to you to!

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 12:39:13 AM »
Hi

unfortunately I don't have a recipe for Cabrales. I would like to say just one thing: Cabrales cheese is from an specific geographic area named Cabrales (of course) in the region of Asturies, northern Spain, but it's not from Catalunya.
Best regards from Catalunya, and merry Xmas!!!

Yeah, but you guys don't think Catalunya is in Spain.  LOL  Merry Christmas!!!
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline Albert

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 5
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 01:38:57 PM »
I just would like to give some more information, some precisions. I was trying to say that Asturies is in northern Spain, in a different region, 600 kilometers from Catalunya in another region. And yes, Al, Catalunya is in Spain (for the moment...)

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 04:40:33 PM »
I just would like to give some more information, some precisions. I was trying to say that Asturies is in northern Spain, in a different region, 600 kilometers from Catalunya in another region. And yes, Al, Catalunya is in Spain (for the moment...)

LOL  Again, Merry Christmas!!
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline mgasparotto

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 6
  • Cheesemaking, Homebrewing Librarian in Queens, NY
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 11:04:53 PM »
This isn't a recipe, but it gives information on pH, types of milk and salt, humidity and aging requirements for Cabrales. Vega Mancha has a nice website and iPad app with all of their export cheese specifications. It's kind of fun:

http://export.vegamancha.com/fichas_productos/Cabrales%20grande%2012%20meses%20INGLES.pdf