Author Topic: One of those days  (Read 4514 times)

Captain Caprine

One of those days
« on: February 16, 2009, 04:49:00 AM »
Just a quick rant here,
It's one of those days when you ask yourself why the hell don't I just buy milk.  Went out to the goat barn to milk this morning in 70mph wind and rain that was blowing sideways to find all of the tar paper on the roof had torn lose :(.  I figured that I would have a break in the weather at some point in the day to get on top of the barn and at least tarp it so the water wouldn't be pouring in along the seams.  No such luck as it rained and blew heavy all damn day long.  Went out this evening to milk again and the barn is soaked >:(. I put down a load of shavings that will be swelled by morning making it heavy as heck to move back out to get the place dry again and I still have to get up on the roof.  We have had close to 4 inches of rain in 24 hour, which is a lot for us, and it is coming down now as hard as ever.  The road into town is flooded and we may have a neighbor living in the guest house by tomorrow if the creek continues to rise.  So for everyone who thinks I get a free ride when it comes to milk, trust me it ain't cheap. 
Wow I feel much better now 8)
Sorry for the attitude
CC

LadyLiberty

Re: One of those days
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 06:39:22 AM »
Just a quick rant here,
It's one of those days when you ask yourself why the hell don't I just buy milk.  Went out to the goat barn to milk this morning in 70mph wind and rain that was blowing sideways to find all of the tar paper on the roof had torn lose :(.  I figured that I would have a break in the weather at some point in the day to get on top of the barn and at least tarp it so the water wouldn't be pouring in along the seams.  No such luck as it rained and blew heavy all damn day long.  Went out this evening to milk again and the barn is soaked >:(. I put down a load of shavings that will be swelled by morning making it heavy as heck to move back out to get the place dry again and I still have to get up on the roof.  We have had close to 4 inches of rain in 24 hour, which is a lot for us, and it is coming down now as hard as ever.  The road into town is flooded and we may have a neighbor living in the guest house by tomorrow if the creek continues to rise.  So for everyone who thinks I get a free ride when it comes to milk, trust me it ain't cheap. 
Wow I feel much better now 8)
Sorry for the attitude
CC

CC, where in California are you?  It's nuts where I'm at too.... Santa Cruz.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 09:10:29 AM »
He's in Pescadero. Sorry to hear that Captain. I'm not going to speak for everyone, but I'm sure most people DO NOT take it for granted that your milk is free...people know it's not free, I think most people admire that you have the drive and knowledge to take care of animals and live off the land to the extent that you do. It's dam hard work. Most people either know or don't know, but man you can't say I'll stay in bed an hour more cause I don't feel like milking, well you can't the animal will suffer. Anyway, right here with ya.

LadyLiberty

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 10:13:26 AM »
I thought about raising goats.... once.

And then I realized... milking at an early hour.  Oy.

And I thought leaving the alpacas for a few days was hard.  I can't imagine if I had goats, you would have to teach the housesitter how to milk!

wharris

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 12:34:01 PM »
Yeah,  There is a reason not everyone raises goats. (or any animal).
Farm life is tough work.  Always something to do.

Captain Caprine

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 03:40:28 PM »
Thanks guys,
I just needed to complain as I was wet and tired.
The rain of course continues through the morning milking and I'm getting ready to drive up to Half Moon Bay to get some hydroseal for the roof and then out into the rain.  Just a word of warning, I have to cross paths with the Tour of California bike race on the way to town and back, so I may be in even a lousier mood when I get back.
Gonna need some serious wine and cheese this afternoon.
CC

Mary Ruth

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 05:20:50 PM »
Hope your rainy days are at an end.  At least you don't ice storms, oh wait, it CA you get earthquakes, oh my.  Well THAT wasn't very cheery.  Me, I just have housepets and chickens (5)
that are reasonably easy to care for.  If I drank too much wine I would worry about milking a cow or goat and then feel really guilty if I was late.  Chickens are a breeze.

Mary Ruth

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 05:35:34 PM »
I didn't mind your post at all.  Hope all is sunny and better.

Captain Caprine

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 06:44:37 PM »
Things are fine, muddy but fine.  I need to put the truck in four wheel drive to go from the back of the house to the front. Drinking too much wine only becomes a problem when you start trying to milk the chickens ;
CC

chilipepper

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 07:23:43 PM »
LMAO!! ;D 

I suppose you might want to seek some professional treatment if you are attempting to milk the chickens! :) 

Here we are finally getting a snowy winter... so our fun it two fold.  We get to shovel and push snow and then we'll get to deal with all the mud in a couple of months! :)

homeacremom

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 11:04:03 PM »
ROFL

Brian

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009, 05:26:56 PM »
Hmmmm........Chicken cheese.

Brian