Author Topic: Rennet, Animal, Liquid - Shelf Life?  (Read 5620 times)

HOPOIL

Rennet, Animal, Liquid - Shelf Life?
« on: January 16, 2013, 05:19:02 PM »
Liquid animal rennet, properly stored in refrigerator has a useful life-span of what?

linuxboy

Re: Rennet, Animal, Liquid - Shelf Life?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 06:53:26 PM »
4-5% degradation per year. Meaning decade+, but will need to adjust amount to account for loss of strength.

HOPOIL

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 08:18:09 PM »
Thanks LB:
That helps me understand why the amount I used recently - compared to a month ago (using rennet that is over a year old) took about 5 minutes longer to show flocculation. 
[took 15 minutes back then, and 20 minutes this week]
-HOPOIL

linuxboy

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 08:43:42 PM »
That's more likely caused by quantity measurement differences, pH difference at addition, milk solids, or temperature.  Month will not make that big of a difference

HOPOIL

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 04:48:06 PM »
Now that you mention pH; I was puzzled why I was seeing a higher than expected pH of my store-bought milk as I began this make.  Without having the make-sheet in front of me, I think I had a reading of 7.3 for the milk at first and down to 7.2 when rennet was added.  I did not have any calibration solutions to check the pH meter, so I still don't know if the meter is off; but the pH continued to drop as the process continued. I think it ended with whey pH of 6.25 after all done.  higher numbers than what I had recorded in the past.
thanks for your help.