Author Topic: Calcium Chloride - Substitutes?  (Read 49454 times)

NRG

Re: Calcium Chloride - Substitutes?
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2012, 12:36:27 AM »
Well, I guess, what is the conversion from CaCl2 qty to Calcium Citrate Ca3(C6H5O7)2 qty to achieve the equivalent calcium addition?

linuxboy

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2012, 03:29:08 AM »
Are you looking for gram equivalent?

it's 1 mole of Ca2+ per mole of CaCl2, and 3 moles per mole of citrate.

But that's not the big issue. Big issue is solubility. in water, cacl2 is highly soluble, and citrate is highly insoluble. Citrate is something like .001 gram per ml, whereas cacl2 is something like .7 grams per ml.

If you're using citrate for leuconostoc food or to increase diacetyl, the potassium or sodium salts are a better choice.

Tomer1

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2012, 03:32:13 PM »
Has anyone tried using Calcium Citrate instead of Calcium Chloride

Sodium citrate is often used in commerical buttermilk to increase butteryness.

nomadgurl

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2012, 05:25:18 PM »
I have run out of the wonderful premixed bottle of calcium chloride in the cheese kit, and picked up a bottle of it at the shop, but it says mix one teaspoon for a 5 gallon bucket.....does anyone know the measurements for making one's own solution? it is the small little balls looking type....dry. Also, I thought calcium citrate was more water soluble than say calcium carbonate, at least that was what a MD recommended for taking, being that our bodies are mostly water...??

linuxboy

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2012, 05:34:38 PM »
Please see

http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,4803

Or add the dry according to anhydrous equivalent. Remember start with .005 - .01% anhydrous.

Water solubility is not the same as solubility in HCl (stomach acid), neither does solubility address bioavailability.

NRG

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2012, 09:39:16 PM »
I have found the solubility of Calcium Citrate in water is roughly 0.09gm per 100ml or 0.9 grams per liter.

Is this concentration enough to get a proper qty of calcium added along with the desirable citrate?

I really love the concept of amping the butter flavor a bit. Can Calcium Citrate-Malate be utilized for this purpose? It is really soluble.

bbracken677

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2012, 09:44:14 PM »
what is the pH of calcium citrate?

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2012, 11:20:41 PM »
Thanks for the links LB.  Just ordered a pound of the granules.  That should make plenty for my purposes and save me a ton of money. ;D
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

NRG

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2012, 11:24:58 PM »
what is the pH of calcium citrate?

Wikipedia fails to list a pH. Perhaps because the minimal solubility has little effect on the pH of the water solute.

http://fa.kfda.go.kr/standard/egongjeon_standard_view.jsp?SerialNo=209&GoCa=1 a Korean website says:

(2) pH : pH of a solution of 1 g of Calcium Citrate in 20 ml of water is 6.0~8.0.

I take this to mean a saturated solution of Calcium Citrate is near neutral pH. It also seems this is a cursory test to help be sure the material is pure enough to be a food additive. pH outside this range may indicate impurities not suitable for food.