Author Topic: Cheddar with Jalopeno's  (Read 1689 times)

tnbquilt

Cheddar with Jalopeno's
« on: December 23, 2012, 03:27:14 PM »
This is the first time that I ever made a traditional cheddar that did not look like rocks glued together on the outside. I have been reading the posts on this forum and I found one where Boofer made a cheddar and pressed it in the pot. I had never heard of that. What I did different from my previous makes was I milled the curds down pretty small, and I put the cheese mold in a pot, with something in the bottom to keep the cheese off of the bottom. Then I put warm water in the pot, but not enough to reach the cheese. I didn't check the temperature of the water, I will do that next time. Then I wrapped a towel around the top to hold the heat in. When I flipped it, I changed the water out so that it was still hot.

tnbquilt

Re: Cheddar with Jalopeno's
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 03:29:32 PM »
I used green jalopeno's out of the freezer and dried red jalopeno's that I bought at the store. I need to figure out how to wipe those little nubs off of it.

bbracken677

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 04:27:54 PM »
Nice looking cheddar! 

Hope it turns out great for you!  I have never made a cheese with the little something extra in it, such as this, but will give it a shot one day.

tnbquilt

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 05:44:23 PM »
I used raw milk and it has a nice yellow tint to it. I don't color the cheeses, it seems like an addition that I don't need.