Author Topic: Finally Making My 6 Gallon Stilton  (Read 30384 times)

bbracken677

Re: Finally Making My 6 Gallon Stilton
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2013, 01:37:28 PM »
There has been considerable discussion about the use of PVC in cheesemaking.  I believe the general consensus is that the PVC, not being food grade material, is not a good idea. The acidity involved can leach nasty chemicals from the PVC....

However, there are people who will say there is no problem with it...in the end, it is your decision to make. You might try searching the forum for PVC and taking a read before you jump in.

Tomer1

« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2013, 02:17:44 PM »
I dont see the point of using PVC when you have LDEP and HDPE (more suitable for pressed cheeses as it higher density and has increase strength properties) available as pipes for the same price.

shotski

« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2013, 03:14:49 PM »
Thanks for the feed back.

bbracken677,  I came across that discussion a while back and was intrigued by it and as noted there were differing opinions. Most of our water supply and drain lines are PVC these days.

http://topics.wisegeek.org/topics.htm?pvc-sewer-pipe

and is used widely in the food industry today.

"Vinyl (polyvinyl chloride, or PVC) provides excellent clarity, puncture resistance and cling. As a film, vinyl can breathe just the right amount, making it ideal for packaging fresh meats that require oxygen to ensure a bright red surface while maintaining an acceptable shelf life.
Examples: Plastic food wrap, shrink wrap, garden hoses, shoe soles"

http://virtualweberbullet.com/plastics.html

3-Vinyl (PVC)

Polyvinyl chloride (PVC) is used in all manner of food wraps. It is transparent and strong and clings very well to food when used as a wrap, but it also allows enough oxygen through its surface for products that need to "breathe," such as fresh meats. Garden hoses and shoe soles are also often made with PVC, as are the white plastic pipes used for household plumbing.

How Do I Tell If it Is Food Grade Plastic? 

Only seven types of plastic are considered "food grade" by the U.S. Food & Drug Administration. Plastics used to package food must be of high quality and cannot contain harmful dyes or chemicals. The Society of Plastics Industry has established a seven-point system of categorizing and labeling food-grade plastics.

http://www.ehow.com/way_5819448_do-tell-food-grade-plastic_.html

Tomer1, I agree and do plan on ordering proper hoops for pressed cheeses but this is for Stilton (not pressed) and I have it. so baring any safety concerns it would be interesting to try.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2013, 04:00:31 PM »
You folks do whatever you like.  I work with plastics every day and see the impurities in the materials that are exposed when machined.  Some are exposed before machining.  Bottom line is that plastics that are not going to be used in the food industry don't have the safeguards in place for cleanliness, etc. of those that are going to be used with foods.  I'll stick to Dairylene for molds.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 09:03:50 PM by Al Lewis »
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Tomer1

« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2013, 07:13:44 PM »
Tomer1, I agree and do plan on ordering proper hoops for pressed cheeses but this is for Stilton (not pressed) and I have it. so baring any safety concerns it would be interesting to try.
O

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2013, 03:24:55 PM »
Right at the 4 week mark and I couldn't be happier with this cheese.  Rind has developed perfectly in my estimation.  Smells great!

shotski

« Reply #66 on: January 20, 2013, 04:48:25 PM »
Nicely done Al, I can only hope that mine turns out as prefect as yours.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #67 on: January 20, 2013, 04:56:04 PM »
Thank you!!  Now if I can just figure out how to make a brie. LOL

shotski

« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2013, 06:38:19 PM »
have you made a brie yet?  I made a Cambozola only once so far. The white mold growth was really good looked just like store bought had a really nice  blue aroma but when I cut it open it was lumpy and runny. There were no signs of blue mold other than a wonderful aroma and flavour. Not sure what I did wrong but I do plan on doing another one after I get the Stilton aging.

AndreasMergner

« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2013, 08:15:05 PM »
Looks great,Al. It's pretty cool to have all of these Stiltons going at once on the forum.  Everyone's looks a bit different.

I did a Camembert and it turned out well for being my third cheese or so.  The white mold grows even easier than the blue.  I now know I could have made a better cheese, but I had guests saying they liked mine, so go figure.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2013, 09:45:14 PM »
Thanks Andreas, I know what I did wrong on my brie and camembert now so I can fix the problem.  Just been so busy doing hams and beer there hasn't been a lot of time for cheese making.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #71 on: January 21, 2013, 03:34:53 PM »
That looks great, Al.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #72 on: January 21, 2013, 03:40:23 PM »
Thanks Boofer!  I'm going to give some Brie a shot today, without the extra cream, as the cave has some empty shelves with all of the waxed cheeses stacked. ;D

shotski

« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2013, 03:05:25 AM »
Hi Al,  Did you get around to doing a brie? If so what size was the make and what recipe did you use?

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #74 on: January 26, 2013, 12:39:37 AM »
Hi Al,  Did you get around to doing a brie? If so what size was the make and what recipe did you use?

Yes I did.  Here's the thread.