Author Topic: Semantics: Dutch-Style, Alpine-Style, Swiss-Style  (Read 958 times)

Milk Maid

Semantics: Dutch-Style, Alpine-Style, Swiss-Style
« on: December 18, 2012, 08:47:12 PM »
Hi All:

I'm trying to sort out the semantics of the term "Dutch-style cheese". I was thinking the very simplest way to categorize cheeses by make-process would be Dutch-style (washed curd) or Non-Dutch Style. Do you have thoughts? How does (the very American) term "Swiss-style" cheese relate to Dutch style? Is it the difference of Propionibacterium? And then, how does the term "Alpine" fit in?

I am sure there are many opinions on how to sort cheese styles and I'm interested in yours.

Thank you!

hoeklijn

Re: Semantics: Dutch-Style, Alpine-Style, Swiss-Style
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 08:16:58 PM »
Mmm, as a Dutchman I'm not so sure if you can speak about Dutch-style cheese. Yes, the Gouda-shape is typical for almost all cheeses here made from cow milk (and for most of the goat milk cheeses), but also for the Dutch Leerdammer, which is an Alpine-style cheese with Propioni.
And what is Alpine-style: When you read the posts of Alpkaeserei you'll see that there are a lot of different cheeses made in the Alps. In 2011 I've been to a small dairy in Austria at an altitute of 1500 meters, where they make AlmCamembert among other Alm(=Alpine)-cheeses.
I'm curious how others think about this....