Author Topic: Checking PH on cheese after pressing  (Read 2529 times)

tnbquilt

Checking PH on cheese after pressing
« on: December 29, 2012, 04:22:21 PM »
Can someone explain the process of checking the ph after pressing? I have read on this forum where people say that you press the cheese until it reaches a specific ph level, or the ph level after pressing should be a specific thing.

While I'm making cheese I check the ph of the whey, but I don't know how to check the ph level of a solid substance.

bbracken677

Re: Checking PH on cheese after pressing
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 04:54:31 PM »
Most pH meters cannot measure the pH of a solid.  Perhaps if you break off a very small piece and mix it with water you could get an approximate pH, but the cheese will be a bit more acidic than what you test, due to water's pH of 7+-...wouldn't know how to swag a good number from the results....sorry.

The only meters I know of that can test a post-press cheese would be the extech 100 and 110 (there may be others, but not aware of them)...others such as milwakee, oakton and hanna can only test liquids.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 05:19:16 PM »
!
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

tnbquilt

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 05:22:40 PM »
I have the hanna. I didn't realize that there were specific ph meters for that. When mine dies I will look into the other kind.

AndreasMergner

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 06:34:15 PM »
I have an extech, but I just measured the pH of the whey that came out during the last pressing phase.