Author Topic: H-K-J,s 5Th Stilton 1st 5gallon make short 1 pint  (Read 15755 times)

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
Re: H-K-J,s 5Th Stilton 1st 5gallon make short 1 pint
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2012, 07:24:38 PM »
Thanks for your input :)
Looks really nice! I will be making a blue soon, and was thinking about just skewering it less...think that would work? Looking for a milder blue flavor, yet with the creamy paste...

I think less would have helped this one yet I have seen a picture somewhere on the forum that they took at a London market and it shows smaller hole and plenty of them I wish I would have bookmarked that one. 

So what ended up being your TOTAL aging time?

Tiffany, it was 11 weeks Of 50 to 55 deg. at 88 to95% RH I'm thinkin 2 weeks to long on this one.

Also, when people refer to ageing I guess they mean the time in the cheese cave?  When you cut it and put it in the fridge will the taste change much after that?  I guess at that point you seal it in foil / vacuum seal?

Swifpint; That's what I mean by ageing others may not ;) when I cut and put it in the fridge I believe the sharpness goes up and the blue bite backs off and on this one I will need that to happen (according to my taste buds)
Hope this helps. at least it'll be here to refresh my memory (now what was I doing??)
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

Tiffany

« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2012, 07:53:05 PM »
Thanks.  My cheese is pretty big.  I'm thinking of cutting into 2 wheels and aging different times.  My dh likes it very mild, I like it medium but not slap in the face. 
Well I cut it in half.  Its apx 3# per half. 
I had great difficulty smoothing it.  Not sure if its enough. 
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 10:21:24 PM by Tiffany »

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2012, 05:50:25 PM »
Yaaaaa I found it this is the picture I was referring to that shows the piercing and the size of and the frequency of them 8)
Also it show's the size difference we are dealing with, the size we are making is going to age allot faster than a true Stilton, so in-turn and hindsight, some after thought, eleven weeks is way to long for our cheese's eight or nine? Maybe :-\

Tiffany

« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2012, 06:08:23 PM »
wow thanks for the photo.  good refrence for the holes.  interesting how many are double holes. 
I was thinking about 8 weeks for the big one.  I cut mine, in HOPES of having it ripe nuff to share for christmas.  Im not so sure tho.  will see.  I took it out of the mold early by one day, as it was feeling a little dry and was no longer draining.  had a heck of a time smoothing and still not sure its good nuff. 
so today is day 5 and day 1 in the ageing box.  my humidistate died so I am hoping im good.  there is a tiny bit of light condensation on the walls more like fog than anything else.  this is a photo of the size of mine.  My dh made a mold for me with 6" pvc so its a pretty big cheese.  so cutting it in half rendered 2 about 5" tall each.  still no blue mold.  Mean time I have 8 baby cams and two large bries aging as well.  I have a big cheese class sunday and cheese sitting in box everywhere.  LOL... should be entertaining to say the least.  LOL
thanks for taking the time to dig up that photo.  it is helpful.  will let you know how it goes.

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2013, 03:48:44 AM »
Valentine dinner WAS GREAT!!
and the 6th month old Stilton was AWESOME ;D

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2013, 04:05:50 AM »
Looking great!!  Hope you saved me some! LOL :P
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2013, 04:21:09 AM »
My wife really went ALL OUT mmmmmmMMMMMmmMMMmmmM!!!! :P :D ;D ^-^

rolsen99

« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2013, 03:56:35 PM »
Wow, that looks great!  I can't wait to cut mine now, I am thinking I want to try it at a younger age, at 7.5 weeks.

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2013, 04:59:37 PM »
I cut this when it was 13 weeks old, 2 weeks to long but still good, I vac bagged it and to me even now the flavors are more blended and much better than when it was cut, the wife just loves it. We still have enough to last till my new one is finished (I hope) :D

george

« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2013, 11:37:08 AM »
Wow, that looks great!  I can't wait to cut mine now, I am thinking I want to try it at a younger age, at 7.5 weeks.
Go ahead, Rolsen, cut it!  Cut the cheese!  (boy am I getting tired of hearing myself say that, not even funny any more!)

My experience with Stilton or any other blue has definitely been better too early than too late.  Depends on your personal taste, but if you like it milder instead of biting your head off, try it now.  It'll still continue to "age" and change over time anyway.   :)

bbracken677

« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2013, 03:23:22 PM »
Dang H-K! Didnt invite me?  That is one mighty fine awesome looking dinner!!