Author Topic: First (approx) Stilton!  (Read 16188 times)

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Re: First (approx) Stilton!
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2012, 11:25:53 PM »
Just guessing but it sounds like it may have been a bit dry when it went into the mold.  IF that was the case it might not compress and consolidate enough to hold together.  Again, just guessing.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2013, 12:50:38 AM »
I tried smoothing mine after 4 days and it was too difficult. So I searched the forums and couldn't find any answers.

I decided I wouild cook up some more curds the next day to fill in the gaps but, to my surprise I didn't need to, they were now soft enough to spread.
I don't know why...
-Bill
One day I will add something here...

AndreasMergner

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2013, 01:40:34 AM »
Al: The curds may be a little dry, but not overly dry.  I've been tasting them and they seem good to me.  I'm not sure what happened -- I even pressed a little with my hands when I put the curds in the mold.  I wonder if my curds got too cold?  I kept a little heat on the pot, and they definitely weren't cold. 

SS: I was surprised because it was smoothing pretty easily and I was just using a butter knife. It wasn't like spreading cream cheese, but seemed to be going fine until I started breaking off chunks.  The wheel (?) of cheese is pretty fragile.  I don't really want to handle it because I think it will come apart.  Maybe I'll post a pic, but not really feeling like it since I'm a bit discouraged.

bbracken677

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2013, 02:09:42 AM »
Maybe wrap it with some cheesecloth? 

AndreasMergner

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2013, 03:39:38 AM »
BB: that's an interesting idea.  I wonder how that would affect blue mold growth though.  Would it grow on the cheesecloth instead of the rind? ...or both? 

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2013, 08:37:55 AM »
The recipe I used said to wrap it in cheese cloth but I chose not to do that.  Maybe that's your answer.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

AndreasMergner

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2013, 02:16:06 PM »
Yes, I think I'll have to try that.  This is what it looks like now.  Pretty sad.

BobE102330

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2013, 05:40:35 PM »
My first attempts were a bit dry, too.  Not quite that easily damaged, but close.  Let the PR do its job and it will largely make a nice creamy paste anyway.  My second attempt with Pav's recipe is a bit drier than the first but at 80 days it is holding together well.  More approximation than Stilton, but still tasty.

shotski

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2013, 08:55:31 PM »
Happy New Year, where do I find Pav's recipe for stilton?

TIA John

shotski

« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2013, 11:03:19 PM »
Thank you. I want to compare it to the recipe I used for the first stilton which I am very happy with. Just had to have it for New Years eve.

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2013, 11:49:23 PM »
I don't know what happened here, my thought is, definitely to dry of a curd, which I don't understand  :-\
I have been trying to dry my curd out to make the interior have more crevices for more PR growth on the inside and have yet to get the desired effect.
My Stilton cheese compact and knit together very nicely yet to compact for the desired texture I am looking for so as to develop a decent veining (on the inside)
I think that AL and bb may have the best save solution for your cheese.
You will probably end up with a very blue and eatable cheese in the end just stick with the ageing schedule out lined by pav and enjoy the lesson in making a Stilton type cheese ;) 
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

AndreasMergner

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2013, 08:42:14 PM »
HKJ: Maybe we should both make some curd and combine them so we end up with the perfect moisture content.  ;) 

Bob: I hope the cheese still ends up being good, but only time will tell. 

I've flipped the cheese a few times and it hasn't fallen apart.  I have not tried to smooth it.  I also have no visible mold growth, but it may be delayed due to temperature.  It is probably 65 in the house, but 60 in the kitchen since there are no radiators in the kitchen.  Should I still wrap it if it isn't falling apart any more (as long as I don't smooth it)? 

rolsen99

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2013, 01:44:54 AM »
You and I are still in the same boat.  I have PR smells, but it has not yet appeared.  I will be purchasing the PR prior to my next make rather than worrying about how long it will take to show up.  Good luck to you!

AndreasMergner

« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2013, 02:15:59 AM »
Well, I think the disadvantage with buying the PR is that there are quite a few different variations.  I really like the blue that this one is from.  If I were to buy PR I'm not sure how it would taste aside from the descriptions which don't sound that helpful.  I know the PR will show up...it's just taking its time.