Author Topic: First (approx) Stilton!  (Read 16183 times)

AndreasMergner

Re: First (approx) Stilton!
« Reply #75 on: February 14, 2013, 10:25:01 PM »
SS: same thing happens with our toilets if we let then go too long between cleanings!  Orangey stuff/linens on the bowl. 

HKJ: I know the linens gave it a really good smell.  When I pierced it last week I didn't want to wash my hands because they smelled so delicious.  Maybe that's a little gross, but there are people who think cheese is gross because stuff grows in it.  I do think it is contributing to the flavor, but I have not really focused on the details of the taste bc of the sharpness.  So, you left it in the cave for a month and then the fridge?  I would think the cave would make sense for a bit....as long as it is vac bagged.  I am very happy that it will smooth out with a bit of aging.  It does sounds like I will have a great cheese in a month or so.  (salivating)  Glad to have you chime in!

Bob: I think I will be blued out, but sounds like aging will only help it anyway.  Did you vac bag yours when it was in the fridge?  This Stilton is probably a bit drier than typical because I was combating linens for a while.  It is slightly creamy with some crumbliness and not waxy.  I'd love to get some PR from you.  I think just a very small amount goes a long way!  Maybe we can share some p shermanii too if you have some or if you don't, if I buy some....?  :)

BobE102330

« Reply #76 on: February 14, 2013, 10:34:07 PM »
No vac bagging, just kept it in a small container.  The PR will just keep getting sharper, vac it and chill it.  I don't think this will mellow with age like a cheddar.

I've got PS to share, too.  Attempted Jarlsberg last weekend.  We'll see how it comes out in a few months.   

AndreasMergner

« Reply #77 on: February 14, 2013, 10:55:56 PM »
Sounds great, Bob.  I can give you some homebrew if you can bring some bottles (without screw tops).  ...or some of my freshly roasted coffee if you prefer.  :)

Tomer1

« Reply #78 on: February 15, 2013, 01:24:15 AM »
WOw! the veining pattern is just like the real thing!  great work.
Aging it in vacuum will maintain the texture (retain moisture) but you will get stronger flavor rather then mellower.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #79 on: February 15, 2013, 01:58:07 AM »
Looks beautiful Andreas!!  Glad you stuck with it to the end. :D
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

JeffHamm

« Reply #80 on: February 15, 2013, 02:00:28 AM »
That really does look fantastic, a cheese to you!  The one stiltonesque I've attempted just got too strong and amoniated as it aged.  I think you should freeze some, keep some in your cave to test what happens when you age it out, give some away, and eat lots. :)

- Jeff

george

« Reply #81 on: February 15, 2013, 10:51:31 AM »
Andreas, that sounds about like the flavor I used to get at 7-8 weeks.  Got rid of most of it by only aging for 5 weeks - comes out perfect for me then.

And to add to the chorus - nice veining!

AndreasMergner

« Reply #82 on: February 15, 2013, 01:57:15 PM »
Thanks for the kudos everyone.  :)  I finally got one to come out well.

So now there is talk that the flavor will intensify with vac bagging?  Oh no.  I wish I had checked this cheese last week or even the week before.  I had read that 8 weeks or even 3 months would be best.  I wonder why there is so much disparity between aging times.  Maybe I should have pierced a while later so the paste of the cheese developed more before the blue took over.  Maybe something to try next time. 

rolsen99

« Reply #83 on: February 15, 2013, 03:55:20 PM »
That looks great!  I can only hope mine turns out as nice looking.  I am at 7.5 weeks, you have me wondering if I should cut mine.

AndreasMergner

« Reply #84 on: February 15, 2013, 07:13:53 PM »
Rolsen: I would.  Use a cheese trier or a veg/apple corer.  That way you can always seal it up and age it longer.  Yours is a few days older than mine.  Better to taste often than get it overripe - especially with a blue.  I like mild blue (love med blue), but don't like too much blue.  Depends on where your line is too.

rolsen99

« Reply #85 on: February 15, 2013, 08:37:40 PM »
I bought a corer today just for that reason.  Can't wait to get home  :D