Author Topic: Greeting from Ohio  (Read 2269 times)

BoilerMaker

Greeting from Ohio
« on: September 08, 2008, 07:28:38 PM »
Good afternoon everyone. I found the cheeseforum site about a month ago and finally decided to join in the fun.

I first learned about home cheese making about 8 months ago. My mother had an issue of "Countryside" magazine laying around and there was an article about cheese making in it. I was immediately interested.

Looking around on the web I found Fankhausers Cheese Page and used that as my main guide to learn some of the basics. I then ordered some rennet, Calcium Chloride (since I use store bought pasteurized milk), and some cheese cloth and have never looked back. I've made yogurt, cream cheese, mozzarella, and feta. I've had successes and failures along the way.

I stumbled upon the cheeseforum site about 6 weeks ago while looking for feta recipes (I thought mine was too salty) and really enjoyed the site. I've since bought some hard cheese molds, built a press in the style used by DaggerDoggie for his larger press, and I'm currently in the process of looking for an easy first hard cheese recipe.

Thanks to everyone for making a great site.

Cheese Head

Re: Greeting from Ohio
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 09:09:58 PM »
Hello BoilerMaker and welcome to the forum, officially! Thanks for the kudos, I've found the Gouda Cheese simple to make, although mine doesn't taste very much like Gouda ;D, but it's still good!

My grandmother was from Cardiff area in southern Wales where many generations of boilermakers!

Feel free to post some of your pictures!

Tea

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 11:22:11 PM »
Good morning BoilerMaker and welcome to the fun.  Glad that you finally decided to join officially.  Let us know how the fetta and cheese turn out. I am always interrested in other people adventures.

reg

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 12:49:13 PM »
morning BM. its good to have more people on board. be looking forward to seeing and hearing about your experiences in cheese making

reg

wharris

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 12:28:27 AM »
Welcome!!! 
Where in Ohio?  I am from Cleveland..... 

BoilerMaker

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 02:07:07 AM »
Sorry for the late reply Wayne. I've been offline for a while. I'm in the Cincinnati area so I won't hold it against you since you are up in Cleveland ;D

Captain Caprine

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 04:28:10 PM »
Welcome to the forum BoilerMaker.
CC

Wannie

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 11:07:08 AM »
Welcome back BoilerMaker

I too was inspired by Professor Fankhauser's Cheese Page.  I am just getting started myself and look forward to hearing about your experiences in cheese making.

Ronnie from Tennessee...

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 12:57:45 AM »
Hello Boilermaker - welcome to the addiction!  ;D

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 06:57:39 PM »
I could use a boiler maker right about now. Welcome.