Author Topic: Long technical question about cheese bitterness  (Read 5969 times)

tnbquilt

Re: Long technical question about cheese bitterness
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2012, 06:59:28 PM »
Thanks for all of that information. I am thinking that my problem has to do with starting to use raw milk, which acidifies differently from the pasteurized milk. I did use less culture because the package of MA11 said to use 1/4 tsp for 2 to 5 gallons of milk and I am using 4 gallon batches and I used 1/4 tsp in both the pepper jack and stirred curd cheddar that I made last July.

I know how to watch the floc time to make sure that I am using the right amount of rennet. I did not do it on those cheeses last July but I have been doing it since then.

For salt content I only know to use the recipe. I will research this forum and see if I come up with some kind of way to check the amount of salt.

I will calibrate the PH meter again and check the ph levels as I go. I don't know how you tell if you have too much culture without going all the way through the recipe to the cooking and draining portion.

I hate to waste anymore milk but I know I have to figure it out by testing.

bbracken677

Re: Long technical question about cheese bitterness
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2012, 09:52:04 PM »
Depends on the cheese (salt amount) but if brining, make sure your brine is fully saturated and at a cool (50F) temp when you drop your cheese in, and also flip it half way through.

For Cheddars, I often see 2.5% salt by weight which seems to be a pretty good number.