Author Topic: Cheese Wraps From US Based CheeseMaking.com  (Read 4703 times)

Cheese Head

Cheese Wraps From US Based CheeseMaking.com
« on: February 17, 2009, 01:22:50 AM »
In my last order from US based CheeseMaking.com, I also bought some 25 cm x 25 cm / 9 7/8" x 9 7/8" cheese wraps:
  • 4 x 25 Double Ply White Wrap for white mold cheeses like Camembert, Crottin, Brie.
  • 4 x 25 Double Ply White Wrap for washed rind cheeses like my Limburger.

US based CheeseMaking.com's description in pamphlet for the White Rind ones is:
A white 2 part breathable paper for that delicate bloom and correct moisture during aging, so important in the mold ripened cheeses of France. The inner (cheese side) layer is paraffin coated thin white parchment paper bonded to a 20 micron opaque white micro-perforated polypropylene paper.

US based CheeseMaking.com's description in pamphlet for the Washed Rind ones is:
A sulphurized inner layer of thin grease-proof paper bonded to a 20 micron transparent micro-perforated polypropylene layer. Pulls moisture away from the surface and restrains the surface mold growth while preventing the common problem of crystal formation which results in grainy rinds. Outer layer allows gases to be exchanged and controls moisture.

I could definitely see the micro-perforations in the plastic layer of the Washed Rind ones, but not on the White Rind ones. The papers are wrapped in thin kitchin soft plastic wrap type material in packages of 25 each.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
Re: Cheese Wraps From US Based CheeseMaking.com
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 12:46:55 AM »
Funny, I just got some of the same camembert ones 10" x 10" from cheesemaking.com.

Tomer1

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 01:22:08 PM »
Are this compatible with plain baking paper\greaseproof?
I was reading a swedish study on greaseproof rating it as low oxygen permiable, how do this compere?

Cheese Head

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 04:21:02 PM »
Tomer1, both the above are dual layer, the waxy paper layer is like a grocery store waxy baking paper but I'd guesstimate 1/2 the thickness.

Tomer1

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 02:46:38 AM »
I'l make do with cellophan then.