Author Topic: Pink Camembert  (Read 5753 times)

Ross

Pink Camembert
« on: December 30, 2012, 08:20:02 PM »
Greetings all and I hope you all have a great New Year.
I have a problem that I have not had before with my Camembert cheeses, usually they are fine although the last batch ripened real quick and when I checked them at 6 weeks the centre had gone runny . . .but I digress, back to this batch,  after five days a couple of them have a pink tinge to them , see photos, is this a harmful bacteria or will a wash in a salt & vinegar solution fix the problem?  :(
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 04:54:56 AM by NZcheesemkr »

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Re: Pink Camambert
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 08:29:20 PM »
B Linens??
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Ross

Re: Pink Camembert
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 09:01:49 PM »
Thanks for that Al, it could make sense, as a few months ago I made/had an attempt, at a Mobier, which has a washed rind with B Linens. I did wash and sanitise the container prior to putting my Camembert in, so if it is B Linens, I didn't do a very good job cleaning, I don't want to wash them if I can help it as it might destroy the P Candidum. I will wait and see.  :-\
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 04:55:27 AM by NZcheesemkr »

Tomer1

Re: Pink Camambert
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 09:32:21 PM »
Let it be, Ive had a sort of "mixed rind" camambert before and it tastes great.
Just make sure you do get PC growth. spray again if needed.

Ross

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 11:09:02 PM »
Thanks Tomer,
I had been reading some other posts and found someone else had a similar problem, possibly RH was way too high, and the possibility that the B Linens may not have been cleaned out  of my container properly, so I have taken the lid off the container, leaving it in my fridge/cave, for a few hours in an effort to lower the RH.
I was wondering if I should try a PC spray or just let it go and hope for the best. I will keep an eye on it for a few days and see what happens.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 04:55:42 AM by NZcheesemkr »

Ross

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 10:07:34 PM »
Update,  Well 10 days have passed and the cams have started to develop the PC despite the pink/B Linens? that had started on the surface 5 days ago.
I put small amount of PC in a spray bottle and sprayed lightly once a day for three days, the container is now between 87 - 95%RH, and 9 deg C,  hopefully they will continue to develop the PC, will leave them for another 5 days
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 10:17:10 PM by NZcheesemkr »

bbracken677

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 01:16:15 AM »
Those could turn out to be some really interesting and tasty cheeses.
Starting off with a b.linens rind and then developing the PC growth may be worth a try intentionally...

Keep us posted on how it turns out!  Am really interested in this make!

Ross

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 11:43:55 PM »
UPDATE : Well it's now 18 days since production and the PC has now taken hold almost, the extra spray of PC has helped, so I have now wrapped then and placed them in our standard home fridge, at a lower temp, for the remaining two - three weeks, and will then be able to sample them.

Ross

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 08:46:02 PM »
UPDATE: Well it has now been 8 weeks since production and the cheese is still a bit firm, but not 'chalky' and starting to soften at the edges. The cheese may have benefited from an extra week in the warmer cheese cave. After wrapping I left the cheese in my 'cheese cave' for a week at 11 deg C, then transferred them to my house fridge at approx 4 deg C. Tastes great, a mild mushroomy smell and a mild sweet flavor. I will have another go soon, but without the pink this time, I don't think the pink influenced the taste too much, if at all.

bbracken677

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 09:42:09 PM »
Cams should be ready in less than 8 weeks. The only cam make I reduced the temp on prior to ripening did not fully ripen. I made several and tried one at the correct time, it wasnt aged enough, but didnt taste too bad. Tried another at approx 8 weeks, and it wasnt developed enough either, but again, taste wasnt bad, just wrong texture. The last one I let "ripen" until about 12 weeks and it still wasnt developed properly and tasted...horrible. I felt at the time that I reduced the temp too far way too soon and impeded the paste development.

For your next make, I would suggest you leave the cams in your cave in a container the full 4 -6 weeks it takes to ripen and then wrap once ripened and move to your fridge. What works for me is 50-52F and 95% RH and about 4-5 weeks depending on thickness.

Edited to change the first sentence.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 11:14:23 PM by bbracken677 »

Ross

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 10:58:17 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, will give that a go next time. I am having a go at a Mobier at the moment