Author Topic: Pink Camembert  (Read 913 times)

Offline NZcheesemkr

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
Pink Camembert
« on: December 30, 2012, 02:20:02 PM »
Greetings all and I hope you all have a great New Year.
I have a problem that I have not had before with my Camembert cheeses, usually they are fine although the last batch ripened real quick and when I checked them at 6 weeks the centre had gone runny . . .but I digress, back to this batch,  after five days a couple of them have a pink tinge to them , see photos, is this a harmful bacteria or will a wash in a salt & vinegar solution fix the problem?  :(
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 10:54:56 PM by NZcheesemkr »

Guests, join the CheeseForum.org community to remove this ad.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 38
Re: Pink Camambert
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 02:29:20 PM »
B Linens??

Offline NZcheesemkr

• Medium Cheese
  • Default personal text
Re: Pink Camembert
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 03:01:49 PM »
Thanks for that Al, it could make sense, as a few months ago I made/had an attempt, at a Mobier, which has a washed rind with B Linens. I did wash and sanitise the container prior to putting my Camembert in, so if it is B Linens, I didn't do a very good job cleaning, I don't want to wash them if I can help it as it might destroy the P Candidum. I will wait and see.  :-\
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 10:55:27 PM by NZcheesemkr »

Offline Tomer1

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 33
  • Default personal text
Re: Pink Camambert
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 03:32:21 PM »
Let it be, Ive had a sort of "mixed rind" camambert before and it tastes great.
Just make sure you do get PC growth. spray again if needed.
Amatuar winemaker,baker, cook and musician
not in any particular order.

Offline NZcheesemkr

• Medium Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 05:09:02 PM »
Thanks Tomer,
I had been reading some other posts and found someone else had a similar problem, possibly RH was way too high, and the possibility that the B Linens may not have been cleaned out  of my container properly, so I have taken the lid off the container, leaving it in my fridge/cave, for a few hours in an effort to lower the RH.
I was wondering if I should try a PC spray or just let it go and hope for the best. I will keep an eye on it for a few days and see what happens.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 10:55:42 PM by NZcheesemkr »

Offline NZcheesemkr

• Medium Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 04:07:34 PM »
Update,  Well 10 days have passed and the cams have started to develop the PC despite the pink/B Linens? that had started on the surface 5 days ago.
I put small amount of PC in a spray bottle and sprayed lightly once a day for three days, the container is now between 87 - 95%RH, and 9 deg C,  hopefully they will continue to develop the PC, will leave them for another 5 days
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 04:17:10 PM by NZcheesemkr »

Offline bbracken677

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 16
  • I love me some cheese!
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 07:16:15 PM »
Those could turn out to be some really interesting and tasty cheeses.
Starting off with a b.linens rind and then developing the PC growth may be worth a try intentionally...

Keep us posted on how it turns out!  Am really interested in this make!

Offline NZcheesemkr

• Medium Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 05:43:55 PM »
UPDATE : Well it's now 18 days since production and the PC has now taken hold almost, the extra spray of PC has helped, so I have now wrapped then and placed them in our standard home fridge, at a lower temp, for the remaining two - three weeks, and will then be able to sample them.

Offline NZcheesemkr

• Medium Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 02:46:02 PM »
UPDATE: Well it has now been 8 weeks since production and the cheese is still a bit firm, but not 'chalky' and starting to soften at the edges. The cheese may have benefited from an extra week in the warmer cheese cave. After wrapping I left the cheese in my 'cheese cave' for a week at 11 deg C, then transferred them to my house fridge at approx 4 deg C. Tastes great, a mild mushroomy smell and a mild sweet flavor. I will have another go soon, but without the pink this time, I don't think the pink influenced the taste too much, if at all.

Offline bbracken677

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 16
  • I love me some cheese!
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 03:42:09 PM »
Cams should be ready in less than 8 weeks. The only cam make I reduced the temp on prior to ripening did not fully ripen. I made several and tried one at the correct time, it wasnt aged enough, but didnt taste too bad. Tried another at approx 8 weeks, and it wasnt developed enough either, but again, taste wasnt bad, just wrong texture. The last one I let "ripen" until about 12 weeks and it still wasnt developed properly and tasted...horrible. I felt at the time that I reduced the temp too far way too soon and impeded the paste development.

For your next make, I would suggest you leave the cams in your cave in a container the full 4 -6 weeks it takes to ripen and then wrap once ripened and move to your fridge. What works for me is 50-52F and 95% RH and about 4-5 weeks depending on thickness.

Edited to change the first sentence.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 05:14:23 PM by bbracken677 »

Offline NZcheesemkr

• Medium Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 04:58:17 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, will give that a go next time. I am having a go at a Mobier at the moment