Author Topic: How large a cheese cave do I need?  (Read 12373 times)

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Re: How large a cheese cave do I need?
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2012, 03:06:05 PM »
Not sure about where you are but you can pick up cheap used fridges here for two reasons, 1. they don't work right and, 2. it cost a lot to get rid of them due to the hazmat.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Banjoza

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2012, 07:07:50 PM »
until I can get rid of the funky, corrosive molds, I can't leave anything there long term.  Although, I must say, I'm a LOT more diligent about checking and wiping down my cheeses now than I was when I made those two last year.

An uncle of mine had a mould problem in one of his commercial mushroom growing sheds and I seem to remember that eventually they solved it with some kind of chemical spraying regime.  I think it was a stronger version of chlorine bleach that they used (you have to be careful of the gas in an enclosed space). They also used steam but that may have been to neutralise the sodium hypochlorite after it had done the job. 

Forever afterwards everyone entering his sheds had to doll themselves up like surgeons in sterile gowns (which amused us little kids no end, given that the sheds were full of horse "kaka"!)

Perhaps you can disinfect your basement the same way?

rosawoodsii

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2012, 08:03:07 PM »
An uncle of mine had a mould problem in one of his commercial mushroom growing sheds and I seem to remember that eventually they solved it with some kind of chemical spraying regime.  I think it was a stronger version of chlorine bleach that they used (you have to be careful of the gas in an enclosed space). They also used steam but that may have been to neutralise the sodium hypochlorite after it had done the job. 

Perhaps you can disinfect your basement the same way?

Since the furnace is down there, I doubt that spraying chemicals would be an option, but thanks for the suggestion.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2012, 02:52:49 AM »
Have you looked into painting the room with this??   http://www.kilz.com/primer/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=e2b7d0f7a9923210VgnVCM1000006b0910acRCRD

On a different note, I put my Swiss back into the cave tonight.  Getting full.  Some of this will be consumed over Christmas and replaced with new cheeses.

bbracken677

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2012, 02:28:29 PM »
Wow...that is your idea of a full cave?   haha  then mine is crammed! If I had your space I could make cheese every week for a year!   lol

I have a freezer in storage in Memphis...one of these days I need to retrieve it and convert it into a cheese cave...then I will be on cloud 9!   :)

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2012, 03:40:07 PM »
Still have room for stacking BB but I'm going to have to get the vacuum sealer out before I do any more of that.  Don't want those molds spreading to the wrong cheeses.  I plan on doing a lot of hard cheeses that I can wax or seal.  Only one that will need its space is the next Stilton.  Figure it will get the bottom shelf all to its self.  Maybe with a cake cover over it to keep the molds in.  They tried to spread from my last two small ones to everything near them.  Also plan on a good chlorine wipe down before starting again to get rid of any molds that may have clung to the interior walls or shelves.

bbracken677

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2012, 03:44:31 PM »
Oddly...I have 2 cheddars in vacuum bags that I had to take out and wipe/clean due to blue contamination. I let one roll for a while since the blue looked so nice...I figure the worst that can happen is my cheddar winds up with a bit of blue flavor on the rind...not the end of the world.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2012, 03:56:03 PM »
Yeah I have already waxed my cheddar and cheshire and figured I'd do the same with the remaining hard cheeses I plan on making.  The Jarlsberg is waxed and when I recently pulled the wax off and re-waxed it it looked, and smelled, great.  Want to do a double glouchester and maybe have a shot at a cantal and a parm.  Don't think you can wax a parm but the other two should be good with it.

Banjoza

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2012, 07:40:31 PM »
Your cheesie world opens up so much when you've got a cave. I really have to do something about that in January. I am getting bored with making the fresh cheeses and need to get my teeth into something more meaty. If I win the lottery the first purchase will be that ph meter too.

Al, I don't think I've heard of a Jarisberg cheese - why did you pull the wax off and re-do it?

BB - how about a photo of your cheese cave too - just to make me wild with envy!

bbracken677

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2012, 07:55:34 PM »
LOL nothing special about mine....its a small fridge that I rigged the thermostat to hit 50-52 degrees. It is 50F at the top shelf and 52ish on the bottom shelf.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2012, 12:51:43 AM »
Al, I don't think I've heard of a Jarisberg cheese - why did you pull the wax off and re-do it?

Jarlsberg is the Norwegian version of Swiss.  I pulled the wax off because the first time I waxed it I did it with a brush and it seemed to have a gap under the wax.  The second time I did it I had enough wax in the pot to dip it.  Cheeses look much nicer dipped than brushed.  Just takes a lot of wax to fill a crock pot to dip them.  I think I have about 8 pounds in mine now.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2012, 06:53:33 AM »
Jarlsberg is the Norwegian version of Swiss.
Well, not exactly. Check this.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2012, 04:31:45 PM »
Okay Boofer, just trying to give a quick and simple answer. LOL  I stand corrected. :-X  Actually I was using this intro as a reference.  http://www.cheesemaking.com/Jarlsburg.html
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 04:38:55 PM by Al Lewis »

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2012, 05:21:48 PM »
Understand, Al. Looks like you've got the right sense of direction. That's a good clarifying link.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

rosawoodsii

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2013, 10:19:42 PM »
I've finally come to terms with the damp basement.  I cream waxed my hard cheeses, and I'm MUCH more diligent about turning them, and turning and wiping down the others that aren't waxed.  When I go to regular wax, I'm going to dispense with the red and black and use clear only, so I can see if something awful is happening under there.  It is an ideal environment both humidity- and temperature-wise.  It's just that gungy brown mold that's so awful.