Author Topic: Fridge Controller (or other cheese cave) Recommendations  (Read 9908 times)

Mighty Mouse

Fridge Controller (or other cheese cave) Recommendations
« on: December 30, 2012, 11:34:11 PM »
Greetings,
Looks like I finally have the household political leverage to upgrade to a larger cheesecave. I have considered going the winefridge route (and have not ruled that option out completely of the right price and size pop up. Comments on them would be welcome), but was wondering what has worked well for others. I have read several threads here on different options people have used from the usual Johnson Analog Controller to some pimped out lego mindstorm projects (I have considered wiring up something with a PIC microcontroller but I kind of just want to get something done with little risk of burning down my house).

Any thoughts

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Re: Fridge Controller (or other cheese cave) Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 12:09:05 AM »
Well my advice would be if you're going to upgrade don't bother with a wine cooler.  Go for a fridge or freezer.  I use the Johnson control analog and it works fine.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 11:01:40 PM by Al Lewis »
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 10:29:08 PM »
This works very nicely.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

susanky

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 01:19:35 AM »
If I'm not mistaken, that one has to be wired.  So if you are handy no problem.  But if (like me) you are not, this one just plugs in.
http://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Controls-Digital-Thermostat-Control/dp/B00368D6JA/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1357002960&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=johnson+temperature+controller

Susan

Mighty Mouse

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 04:49:20 AM »
Have you guys had any problems with them?

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 08:36:23 AM »
No problems with mine.

Mighty Mouse

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 09:33:12 AM »
No problems with mine.

Which do you have?

Offline steffb503

• Catskill Mts, NY State, USA
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
    • M & S Farm
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 11:39:50 AM »
I actually have a freezerless fridge with a Johnson controller. It will last longer because the compressor does not try to keep the freezer cold while only keeping the fridge at a lower temp.
Best friend is a commercial heating and cooling guy.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 06:01:35 PM »
Which do you have?

I use the Johnson Controls analog thermostat with a 7 cu ft upright freezer.  The entire setup, with thermometer and hygrometer was under $250.00

Offline mgasparotto

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 6
  • Cheesemaking, Homebrewing Librarian in Queens, NY
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 07:49:37 PM »
I just wanted to put in a plug for the wine fridge option because they have clear glass doors that make it easy to see what's going on inside without opening it up and changing the temp/humidity. I was given a little 12 bottle wine fridge that stays at a nice 50 degrees, and with a tiny car humidifier it easily gets to 95% humidity. It digitally displays the inside temp right on the front. Run in a tube from an air pump for fresh air circulation, and voila! In my neck of the woods people are always selling them cheaply secondhand. The only downside is the drip tray in the back - mine fills up and needs to be emptied once every day or two with humidity so high inside.

mjr522

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2013, 07:53:24 PM »
Have you looked into converting an empty closet (or just making one...)?

tnbquilt

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2013, 10:11:23 PM »
I have an upright freezer and a Johnson Controls controller on it. My husband wired it up. I like that picture of the thermostat and hygrometer together, I need to get one of those. I just have a thermostat in mind.

For moister I put a pot of water in the bottom with a fish tank air rock in it hooked up to an air pump. The pump blows air into the rock in the bottom of the water pot, and it just keeps the water moving.

Mighty Mouse

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2013, 05:38:19 AM »
Have you looked into converting an empty closet (or just making one...)?

I have actually. Its funny you ask, a day ago or so I was talking to my lady about building a cheese cave room in the garage. I don't think she was very keen on the idea. The only closet we have that would be appropriate is full of clothes...

Alpkäserei

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2013, 06:48:52 PM »
If you can't build a closet, why not build an aging cabinet?

This idea came to me, you mention about closets being full of clothes. In many other places outside of America, people don't have closets, they have cabinets, wardrobes, etc. They really are a bit more space efficient.

I think that making an aging cabinet of sorts would be sort of a halfway between a refrigerator and a closet, size-wise.

You could just build it as a regular wooden carcass-type cabinet, and put some foil lined polyurethane insulation on the inside, then proceed to cool/humidify like you would a closet type cave.

Nuts, now I have the urge to build such a contraption.

Mighty Mouse

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2013, 11:07:04 PM »
If you can't build a closet, why not build an aging cabinet?

This idea came to me, you mention about closets being full of clothes. In many other places outside of America, people don't have closets, they have cabinets, wardrobes, etc. They really are a bit more space efficient.

I think that making an aging cabinet of sorts would be sort of a halfway between a refrigerator and a closet, size-wise.

You could just build it as a regular wooden carcass-type cabinet, and put some foil lined polyurethane insulation on the inside, then proceed to cool/humidify like you would a closet type cave.

Nuts, now I have the urge to build such a contraption.

Wow, what a cool idea! The thought had not occured to me but I see how that could be doable (An potentially quite stylish). I will have to think about that.