Author Topic: Who's up for Visitors?  (Read 2571 times)

mjr522

Who's up for Visitors?
« on: December 31, 2012, 03:59:14 AM »
Anybody who makes and sells cheese willing to have people come visit their facility?

I don't travel much in my current job, but have in the past and anticipate that I will have to again in the future.  If there were folks from the forum (or if you know others not on the forum) who would be willing to have a visitor (maybe you could put me to work for a few hours?), I'd be interested in seeing as many production facilities as I can (and learning from the folks who run them).

During this coming year, for example, I know I'll be in Alabama for a good chunk of the summer, South and North Dakota towards the end of the summer, and perhaps Kansas in March.  I might also be other places other times, but I'm not sure yet.  Utah's a good possibility at some point, and I'll be surprised if I don't go to Ohio in the next couple of years.

If you're willing to have visits, I might just come see your place without any other reason for going there, too.  ;)

Mighty Mouse

Re: Who's up for Visitors?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 08:25:07 AM »
Well, I don't own a creamery of course but speaking of my local area, I can tell you one of the local professional artisan cheese makers here in my county has a bed and breakfast onsite with cheese/farm related activities as part of their package . In my county, we have 3 total professional creameries that I am aware of- one of which is not currently open to the public as they are moving/renovating (I contacted them about a tour, they told me to call back in a few months- so they are open to visits). Both dedicated creameries are primarily goat cheese producing- one of them is well known statewide (I have seen it mentioned in at least one or two cheese making books). The third creamery is an academic one (at a College with a big Engineering program by the way). We also have (in the town I live in) 2 specialty cheese shops, and a ton of wineries (wine is one of our major local economic segments).
The county immediate above us also has a history of cheese making. I have tried the cheese from one of their creameries- it is amazing!

mjr522

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 03:54:21 PM »
Thanks, MM.  Next time I go to California, I'll have to see if there are any cheesemakers in the area I'll be in.  I imagine there are more there than in Colorado...

snofields

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 05:24:33 PM »
Look up Cozy Cow Dairy in Windsor, CO.  Caille has been wonderful to let me come and learn/help.

mjr522

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 07:38:13 PM »
Thanks!  I just sent them an email!