Author Topic: Pressure for Edam  (Read 4497 times)

Hovard

Pressure for Edam
« on: December 31, 2012, 06:36:22 AM »
Hi all.

Please, post the info about correct pressure ( in PSI or kPa or kg/cm2 ) for Edam cheese. I bought perforated mould and want to try to make.

Thank you beforehand.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Re: Pressure for Edam
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 04:11:57 PM »
Check your messages
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Hovard

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 10:57:59 AM »
Al Lewis, thank you very much. Tried to make first Edam yesterday. I take it from press today. Look at the photos, attached to message.
I can't undress it without scratches. In some places curd filtered through cloth in mould-holes. I press chees second time with 40 PSI. First time with 10-12 PSI.

Please, help how to delete scratches?

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 02:23:59 PM »
Try this.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

linuxboy

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 04:13:49 PM »
The function of cloth is to
- first drain
- second to impress itself and its pattern into the cheese to make it smooth

If your cloth is wrinkled, the rind will be wrinkled. If your cloth is smooth, the rind will be smooth. Fix the cloth, and it will be better.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 05:14:09 PM »
I press cheese second time with 40 PSI. First time with 10-12 PSI.

There is a big difference between "weight" and "psi" (pounds per square inch). If you actually pressed at 40 "psi", then that is WAY, WAY, too much pressure. Judging from your picture with the little "nibs" sticking out (from the holes in the mould), you definitely used too much weight. I would only use 3-4 "psi" (not weight) maximum for an Edam.

You did not say what size your moulds are, and Al did not post his suggestions in the Forum, so it's hard to give you accurate advice.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 05:15:10 PM »
I simply sent him a copy of recipe I found with pressing weights on it, in Ukranian.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 03:14:14 PM by Al Lewis »
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Hovard

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 10:25:08 AM »
Thank you, guys. I think, I have the problem in two places - curd size and pressure. I tried to make final curd size around 1/16 inch and I think it's very big for this cheese. There is many whey inside curd left.
Also I tried to press with recommended pressure.
My form diameter is 13,5 cm ( around 5,3 inches ) and it was around 880 pounds per mould with 40 PSI

I'll try to repeat tomorrow. Who make Edam personally, please, send info about working with curd after heating or give links to VERIFIED recipes.
Thank you beforehand.

Offline Vina

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 4
  • Default personal text
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 11:09:33 AM »
Hovard,
just a gues: have you turned and re-dressed your cheese during pressing? and have you increses the pressure gradualy?
here in Forum is a good recipe: http://cheeseforum.org/articles/wiki-edam-cheese-making-recipe/

hope it works!

Hovard

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 11:26:27 AM »
Hovard,
just a gues: have you turned and re-dressed your cheese during pressing? and have you increses the pressure gradualy?
here in Forum is a good recipe: http://cheeseforum.org/articles/wiki-edam-cheese-making-recipe/

hope it works!

Thank's Vina.
Of course, I'm re-dressed it twice. Also I increase pressure ( add 1 kg every 2-3 minute ). As I know now - it's VERY high pressure really.

I read the recipe, which you post, and found same problem with measurements. I see the WEIGHT in recipe, not pressure. While I not know diameter of the mould, used in this recipe, I haven't any info about pressure, which I need to use with MY mould ( and can't calculate it ). So, I can't follow the recipe as it was.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 11:47:13 AM by Hovard »

linuxboy

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 06:46:24 PM »
There is no one-size fits all with pressing. I can achieve the same result with my hands and no weight as someone else might need 20 PSI to do. The entire process must make sense as a whole. Generally, industrially, edam types use 4-6 PSI.

There is no need to increase pressure over time. I don't follow the reason for this practice. By the time you press, curd should be done. pressing is not about expelling whey; it is about knit. Cutting, stirring, and cooking is about expelling whey.

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 07:23:57 PM »
There is no need to increase pressure over time. I don't follow the reason for this practice. By the time you press, curd should be done. pressing is not about expelling whey; it is about knit. Cutting, stirring, and cooking is about expelling whey.
Then is it nessesary to, remove from press, un-wrap, re-wrap, replace in mold, re-press or are you good to go for an 12 hour pressing period or should you do all of the pressing,un-wrapping, re-wrapping and stuff most of the recipe's call for???
As long as you have a good cheese cloth stetch :-\
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

linuxboy

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, 07:43:02 PM »
remove from press, un-wrap, re-wrap, replace in mold, re-press
This is done for two reasons:
- First, to smooth out any imperfections, embed cloth, and achieve a lovely finish that is uniform on the surface
- Second, to ensure even knit/press, as using moderate PSI places more pressure closer to the plunger point of contact. Is pre-pressing, using casomatics, etc, this second point doesn't apply so much.

So if you use something like a microperf mold and high PSI, no real need to flip. Depends on the cheese and process.

Hovard

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 03:44:16 AM »
Thank you very much, guys. Your info really helps.