Author Topic: USA Wisconsin Based The Cheese Connection - Cheese Making Supply Store  (Read 9296 times)

Cheese Head

The couple that own this new to the web cheese making supply store email asked me to add their website to our list of suppliers, done.

Looking at their website they have standard stuff plus starter cheese making kits, their email:
Kallijah Paraska and Phil Segami

Good morning:

After many years of making cheese in Wisconsin for friends and family we had many requests to establish an on-line cheese supply business and did so in January 2010. Since this time our business has done well with our own website and listing with E-bay. We would like to become listed as a cheese making supplier through CheeseForum.Org. Our URL is cheeseconnection.net and we also respond to all client e-mails 7 days a week between 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. PST.
Wish them all the best in their new endeavor, anyone using them please post reviews in this thread.

sinthome

Re: USA Wisconsin Based The Cheese Connection - Cheese Making Supply Store
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 07:54:39 PM »
They are (now) based in Seattle, WA. I found them while trying to find a local PNW source for cultures in order to save on shipping costs. I am putting in my order today. The website is not the greatest, but the checkout seems secure and they answered my call and were very helpful on the phone.

Offline CaffeineFlo

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2020, 05:32:29 PM »
I recently ordered here because I wanted Alp D culture, but I've been rather unhappy with my order.

The Danisco LR that I ordered for $14.95 were exchanged (because their inventory of LR was already expired) for BL403 (that was offered at $9.95 at the time) - no refund and asking about the replacement I've been told the BL403 is industrial grade ...
I got 2 for 1 on the M195 because the expiration date was 11/2020. Not a bad deal, but I don't make that much Quark that I can use two bags within a reasonable time.
And last but not least, the propionic shermanii and the Alp D both expire in January and February 2021 already (4 Months from my order date)...
The Flora Danica that I ordered was a year old already, but luckily according to the manufacturer still good for another year.

Given that an order for $100 has half their items expire that soon, I have to say I'm rather unimpressed and won't order there again.

Offline Bantams

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2020, 06:08:52 PM »
I'm sorry you had a poor experience with Cheese Connection. We've been using them for many years and many orders. I would give Kallijah a call if you have issues as she's been great to work with.
About the expiration dates - as long as your culture stays dry (doesn't cake up from moisture), it will last many years. For packets that I won't use within a reasonable amount of time (say, 5 uses, 1-2 months), or for any Thermo culture as those tend to clump more readily, I divide the new bag of culture between several sterile plastic screw cap vials (12cc size).  That helps to extend shelf life. You can even vacuum seal the vials. They'll last years that way.

Offline MacGruff

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 23
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2020, 12:00:01 PM »
I've ordered from them recently and had a great conversation with her about the exact mix of cultures to use. Great resource and very knowledgeable. I will definitely order from them again. It's a shame that you had a problem. I would suggest contacting them directly to discuss your concerns.

I keep my packets in plastic zip-locked bags in the freezer as I do not make cheese that often. Even years past the expiration date, they work out well.

Offline Mornduk

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 19
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2020, 03:11:47 PM »
Just to share my case because it was very similar... Last order I placed was in July to refresh a lot of cultures... and the ALPD I ordered was expiring that same month. They pointed it out, shipped it anyway as it would probably still be active for a few months, and discounted it from my bill. I just did a bunch of mother culture and froze it in bags to ensure I'd have an active ALP starter. Very happy with the service.

Offline CaffeineFlo

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2020, 03:48:49 PM »
I understand everyone's point and I did reach out to Kallijah mentioning the price difference. Her answer was that the replacement is industrial grade and I could probably use less to reach the same results. That didn't really change the outcome for me, since I ordered one thing for a higher price and got the other thing, but I also didn't feel like selling cultures to individuals is the kind of business that makes you rich ... so I didn't press the topic any further after her initial answer.

All my cultures are in the freezer now and I'll probably 3D print a few smaller storage caps and vac seal them as to Bantams suggestion.

Offline mikekchar

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 118
  • Default personal text
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2020, 02:11:13 AM »
Yeah... Replacing a product (without asking) with another one of a cheaper price (without refunding the difference) is likely a sign of desperation.  It's the kind of thing that tends to happen just before a company goes out of business :-(  I hope that's not the case because it's always good to have some competition and variety.  Also, it's hard to find the CHR Hansen cultures in home cheese making stores, so it would be nice for someone to keep stocking them.  However, I'm with you -- no matter how good the outcome, it's not something that inspires a second purchase.