Author Topic: Natamycine and Hold-bac  (Read 1857 times)

Milk Maid

Natamycine and Hold-bac
« on: January 03, 2013, 05:08:30 PM »
Does anyone have experience using growth inhibitors such as natamycine or Hold-Bac cultures? Is so, I'm curious to hear what you think. Specifically, I've been making raw milk cheeses and am wanting to figure out ways to get a cleaner flavor. Thanks.

linuxboy

Re: Natamycine and Hold-bac
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 08:41:38 PM »
Natamycin is a better tool for controlling surface growth of mold and ensuring quality in the deli case after cheese leaves the affineur than for using inside the cheese. But you can use it either way.

For holdbac, they both add flavor and control the specific bacterial types each product is intended for. What do you want to know beyond that, a bit too much info in my head to type it all out.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: Natamycine and Hold-bac
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 03:08:08 PM »
I have used a polymer-based cream coating (which contains natamycin) for some of my cheeses. It's meant to inhibit mold growth on the rind.

I have used Holdbac in my Beaufort and Maasdam cheeses to control late-blowing. From my first Maasdam: "Where I had used sodium nitrate as per Jarlsberg guidelines to control late-blowing in Jarlsbergs I've made in the past, I acquired and implemented Holdbac with this make to achieve the same purpose biologically."

FWIW....

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.