Author Topic: Greetings from Philadelphia, PA, USA  (Read 1007 times)

jbachman

Greetings from Philadelphia, PA, USA
« on: January 07, 2013, 08:10:16 PM »
Hello all.  I'm Jason and I live in Philadelphia, PA with my wife, baby daughter and 2 cats. I got an Urban Cheese Craft cheese kit for my birthday and have made 4-5 batches of acid coagulated fresh cheeses which were a lot of fun and really great.  Now I've gotten "Homemade Cheese; Recipes for 50 cheeses from Artisan Cheesemakers" for Christmas and my first batch of chèvre is draining over the sink as I type.

Luckily we've got a home-brew shop in town near my neighborhood that has just started stocking a lot of cheese making supplies so I'm looking forward to getting into it.  I bake all of my own bread at home and in the same way am looking forward to producing a lot of my own cheese instead of being so reliant on buying it all.  I realize I probably can't make "all" of my own cheese but I want to buy less of the cheese I eat.  I haven't bought bread in months!

Any other Philadelphians out there?

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
Re: Greetings from Philadelphia, PA, USA
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 08:20:49 PM »
Welcome Jason!  And I think you could easily make all the cheese that you eat.  There are some simple cheddar taste type cheeses  (check out Caerphilly) for great sandwiches and oodles of easy other cheeses.  I too thought I'd never be able to make the more fancy bloomy cheeses I love but those are actually the easiest.  Caerphilly, by the way, only needs to age a few short weeks so it's a great confidence builder.

This forum has great info and for a beginner I (and I still consider myself one) like to recommend this site that has videos of various cheese makings.  http://www.littlegreencheese.com/  Way down on the right edge you'll see a list of cheese types including Caerphilly.  Those links will take you to recipes.  Wish he'd have the links higher up on the page but they're easy to find if you know what you're looking for.

Good luck and share photos and stories!